The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a bunch of questions about where I get the pieces I sell or how the look before I prep them. So I decided to take a few pics on one of my trips and you can see what 1 piece looks like from the time it's on the tree to the pic I take as its presented for sale
The pics start after about a 2 block or so walk through the rough.

Ok so here's a random pic walking up to some rough stuff.

One of the annoying obstacles, I have to duck down and go through this area. ( I don't like cutting paths to walk freely)

Getting lower to squeeze through

Here is a big tree, this is an example of what the avg branch starts from.

This is a close up of the branch that is in the following pics

Now here is what it looks like before I prep them in the field and remove all the little brittle branches

After all the little pieces are removed.

This is the exit lol

And here it is all finished up.

Ok now after all that I also usually hand carry 8-10 pieces at a time back to my truck through all the brush. It's usually a very good workout most days and in the summer tends to really suck because of the heat.
A few of the things that I come across and either have to watch out for or are annoyed by....
#1 is this bad boy that luckily I don't come across that often. I have seen an avg of 2 per season so not too bad. Thankfully each time they do what they are supposed to do and make a bunch of noise for me lol. No matter how many times you here a rattle it stops your heart for half a second each time.

Now this little guy (not the same type of red ant but close) is a real pain! Inow know I'm not allergic to ant bites since I get bit by these butt heads often.

But by far the most annoying pain in the but is this guy. The horse fly, when its 100 degrees and your walking with a huge handful of wood and sweating these guys are extreamly persistent and very annoying!

Well thats a little insight on some of what I go through to get this beautiful wood. I hope you enjoy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Amazing write up. Good pictoral and documations also. Do you need a license to collect these?

Stay safe when collecting. If I was you I'd go plinking with the rattle snakes, if it's legal that is.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I was looking at the first few pics of the terrain and I was thinking to myself "man, that looks like a great place to look for rattlers. I bet PC1 has seen quite a few. I've GOT to go herping there sometime", then I scrolled down to the rattlesnake pic. lol. I love rattlers!... So please don't shoot 'em!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Would never shoot em. I used to collect them as well. I just no longer have the space to safely keep them now. Amazing animals :)

Neat! Sadly, over here, those stupid rattlesnake roundups are really making a big dent in their population.:icon_frow So sad what people do to such amazing creatures.

About the mazanita, does it leach tannins as much as malasian driftwood? It looks very nice, and I'm a little tempted to get some. Can you get miniature pieces? lol.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Neat! Sadly, over here, those stupid rattlesnake roundups are really making a big dent in their population.:icon_frow So sad what people do to such amazing creatures.

About the mazanita, does it leach tannins as much as malasian driftwood? It looks very nice, and I'm a little tempted to get some. Can you get miniature pieces? lol.
The extent round ups goes to is sad for sure. I could see using it as management in seriously over populated encrouching areas but it's more than that.
Manzanita does not leach anywhere near as much or for as long as malaysian.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Yeah, rattlers over here really need to be protected, and even if they didn't, sewing their mouths shut, freezing them, doing daredevil acts (which waste the countries anti-venom), stomping them, and decapitating them should not even exist anywhere. Not to mention, when they gas tortoise burrows, they kill literally hundreds of species of inverts and vertebrates.

Back to the mazanita, does it float before sinking? How long for?

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree, Yes it floats usually for only a couple days some smaller ones overnight. Varies from piece to piece. Longest I've had was a little over a week and that was a large dense root ball.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those rattlers would definantly keep me from going to get the manzanita. You are brave, but then you like snakes. Not me though.
I've owned and caught so many that they really don't bother me. I follow the desert walking rules and keep my eyes and ears open. Keeping alert is the best thing I think. Closest I've come so far was early morning 7-8ish last year. I wanted to see what was on top of this ridge but had to climb up maybe 20ft of rocks to get up there. About a 3rd of the way up was this 4ft or so Southern Pacific about 4-5ft back from the edge sunning (herself by the size of it) She politely asked me to go away so I did lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.