The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
This is my first 60P journal. I broke down my 55GL which was filled with just random plants. While i was building a new custom stand (Journal Here) for my 55GL and it was half way done i changed my my mind and decided to get a 60p and then changed my mind again and decided to get Two 60P. Why would you want to waste space on a 4' stand. :D

Hardware:
Tanks: 2xLanden 60P 25.4GL
Filters: 2xFluval 306
Lights: [STRIKE]2xEcoxotic E-Series Full Spectrum LED 24"[/STRIKE] 4xRadion XR15 Freshwater
Heaters: 2xHydor 200W In-Line
CO2: GLA Atomic Regulator Customized for 2 tanks with inline diffusers

Hardscape Manzanita Jungle :
Manzanita Branches
Eco-Complete substrate

Hardscape Mysterious Cave :
Aqua Soil - Amazonia
ADA Xingu Forest Sand
Seiryu Stone

Flora:
1-Rotola colorata
2-Staurogyne Repens
3-UG (Utricularia Graminifolia)
4-Mini Fissidens Fontanus
5-Mini X-mas moss
6-Hygrophila sp. "Araguaia"
7-Ludwigia sp. Red

Here is the Tank 1 shot with 24" Ecoxotic E-Series.

and the hardscape.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice to see that somebody has a Landen tank as well,good luck with your fresh start , keep us posted.
I got 2 of them ;)

Never owned an ADA tank but the quality of glass and craftsmanship is excellent on Landen. Shipment was quick too. Got them in 2 days.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I got 2 of them ;)

Never owned an ADA tank but the quality of glass and craftsmanship is excellent on Landen. Shipment was quick too. Got them in 2 days.
I have to agree,craftsmanship is outstanding,very well made,silicon is flawless .

Best of all,delivery in a wooden crate,no extra charge:bounce:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry, I am behind on journal because working on a bunch of other things and not enough time.

Substrate added and planted. Bunch of plants melted because of sitting in a bucket for few days. I couldn't finish the stand in time but hopefully plants will fill in soon.

[09/16/14]

Filling in. and yes, No dry start. :icon_smil

And filled.

[09/23/14]

Finally made the ADA style bracket to hang lights. Used 1/2" conduit and spray painted. Also hooked up 2 lights to get better coverage since light are now 10" higher from the rim of tank.

[09/25/14]

[10/04/14]

And i have 5 different type of Algae now. Some of it probably came with the plants. Only thing left now is some BBA and Green hair algae. Removing every day and cutting algae filled plants and replanting. So, the tank is filling in slowly.
  1. Green Spot Algae [Reduced the light intensity and photo period and cleaned glass. very little on glass now]
  2. BBA [Doing water changes every other day and manual removal. H2O2 spot treatment is not as effective]
  3. Green Hair Algae [So hard to get rid off. Doing manual removal and reduced fert. dosing]
  4. Diatoms [Got bunch of Ottos and gone in a day. completely gone]
  5. Blue Green Algae [Saw on couple of spots, removed and haven't came back]

You can see some hair algae right above the moss.

And on a good note, I got the 2nd 60P :icon_smil

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Started working on Tank 2. It is going to be a Seiryu Scape. I got a ton of Seiryu stone that i had originally planned to do a whole 55Gl with but now only 60p.

The slope will be from left to right so both tanks have the same substrate height where they meet. Kind of an even transition. I'll do little adjustments later with both scapes so it feels like Manzanita scape transitioning to Seiryu scape.

So here is what i came up with the help of my wife. :). I'll add sand in the front where the paper towel is. For now it represents sand.
What do you think about this scape?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Very nicely done! I love those Landen tanks ever since I learned about their existence. Nice alternative to ADA, and a little deeper and taller than the 60P.

I do worry a little about your setup as far as keeping that light so far along the back edge. The one area the E-Series struggles a tiny bit with is light spread, compared to lights with wider dispersion. Fortunately, they're so strong you can usually raise them a bit to compensate. So that's what I'd consider doing: Suspend the E-Series over the tank by at least a few inches. That avoids the conflict you have with the branch that extends above the lip of the tank right in the middle, too, and will give you significantly more even front-to-back coverage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late updates. I was away for a couple of weeks and came back to tanks full of you know what. lol... Hair Algae and BBA. Took me a couple of weeks to get rid of most of it.
Now my CO2 diffuser stopped working so i had to use a back up diffuser and my CO2 has not been stable. As of now both tanks have a lot of BBA and hair algae. I just ordered the new in-line diffusers from GLA and now waiting for them to arrive.

Here is the picture of Tank 1 after the 1st Algae break out. Cleaned, removed algae filled plants and replanted what was left. H2O2 treatment. Did a 50% water change. Looks like when i orignally setup the tank 2 months ago.

[01/11/15] Tank 1

Here is one of the ottos hanging out.

2nd algae outbreak because of CO2 issues. After peroxide spot treatment yesterday. Most of BBA turned purple. Did a 50% water change as well. Hopefully i'll get the CO2 diffuser in a couple of days and then it will be back on track.
[02/21/15] Tank 1

It does not look like there is any algae but trust me there is ton of bba on manzanita and substrate.
[02/21/15] Tank 1

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Finally got everything for both tanks. Now i can setup filters properly with in-line heaters, in-line diffusers to have balanced CO2. Hopefully it will help get rid of algae outbreaks. The tanks have been setup for over 4 months now.

Stainless steel pipes are in as well for the second tank. It took over 2 months to get these but good quality and much cheaper than evilbay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts