The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys experience the same thing?
I've had this manzanita driftwood in my tank for about a year or so, and I notice it is actually slowly breaking down. I.e. when I a rub something on the wood, the surface will easily break into many tiny pieces, and the wood feels "soft" to a certain degree.

I also notice, the filer is constantly filled with brown particle which I can only assume to be the broken down pieces from the driftwood. (I don't get it in other tanks without the driftwood.)

Is this normal?

Photo of tank: also note all the ugly snail egg..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea pretty sure it is mazanita, i brought it on this forum from Badcopnofishtank quite a while ago..

New wood again? haha...I was bashed last time for paying $50+ for wood...

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Some manzy will break off the outter softer parts.
Depends on species and age.

Has a lot more character.

The inner core wood should last a long time.
I prefer this wood vs the new wood which has not been aged, looks like parrot wood or flower displays, not old aged wood.

All wood, regardless of type, rots slowly in water that's aerobic.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here are some of the photos when they were new..

The wood seems to have lost some of its original texture now.
The color is getting more reddish, and the finish/texture is becoming smoother

·
Registered
206 Posts
In that picture ^^^^ is that wood wet?
Interesting stuff happening with your manzies... never experienced any disintegration but I've only had them in the tank for a few months. Anyway I have a ton of this junk in my driveway... you want some for $50? :icon_evil
Naw... just cover shipping and box. I'll hook u up real good.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yes, it does break down. They have to be replaced from time to time.

Logically, the thinner the piece the faster it will break down. All wood will break down in water given enough time. My pieces from the same seller has met with the same outcome.

Though I have yet to have Morpani do this. The pieces of Morpani I have are very thick and dense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts