The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Thanks to all who participate here, I've learned alot and used tons of the info to get started. I'm wondering if I'm being impatient or if I'm doing something wrong...

I have a 55g CO2 tank setup. I have a fluval 3.0. I made a mistake by buying the 36-48 when I think I should have bought the 48-60, but I digress. I did a fishless cycle with ecco complete and fluorish tabs. I have Val's, ludwigia anubias and montecarlo. I also have a fluorish multipack. I'm about 1 month into the setup. I have 12 cherry shrimp 2 mystery snails and 5 Otto's. I'm on the tail end of my diatom bloom

In the beginning I ran my lights on a low level for 12 hours before the CO2. My ludwigia and anubias we're thriving, my Val's were melting and the montecarlo did nothing but float on cocofiber. I got antsy added CO2 and increased light intensity and shortened duration to 8 hrs. Now the Val's are showing new growth ludwigia isn't doing much, montecarlo leaves are brown but the roots seem to be growing considerably. Anubias still looks great other than the ugly diatoms I keep brushing off of the leaves to continue photosynthesis.

Should I change something of stay the course? No matter what I do CO2 is low in the morning and moderately high in the afternoon. I've been dosing twice a week. Once with regular fluorish and then alternating excel and iron.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Excell can cause Val to melt, I have heard of people dosing small amounts daily and getting Val used to it.
C02 needs to be dialed in better how are you measuring it?
What is C02 levels one hour after it is turned on?
What is C02 levels before it shuts of.
Are you testing Nitrates, Flourish fertilizer probably won’t be a good choice for a high tech aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excell can cause Val to melt, I have heard of people dosing small amounts daily and getting Val used to it.
C02 needs to be dialed in better how are you measuring it?
What is C02 levels one hour after it is turned on?
What is C02 levels before it shuts of.
Are you testing Nitrates, Flourish fertilizer probably won’t be a good choice for a high tech aquarium.

Thanks for responding. I have a nilocg CO2 indicator. One of the glass ones with the blue green yellow color changing solution. Is there a better more accurate solution for measuring? I'm a bit reticent to use pH as a barometer because so many other things can cause pH to fluctuate. I've seen CO2 meters that measure it directly but they seem so scarce that I figured there may be a problem with them.
So when the CO2 shuts off one hour prior to the light going off, it's a paper green. An hour after it's turned on, it about the same color. An hour or two after to lights go on, it goes back to blue. Maybe plants consume it at a higher rate early on?

Nitrates are consistently 5 ppm. Why is fluorish no good? Not enough macronutrients?

I think you were right about the Val's. Because the new growth is obvious, that it was just melting. They are slow growing though. I thought about going back to low intensity longer light period but I'm afraid that montecarlo will never carpet in such a talk tank.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Flourish is kinda low on everything for a high tech tank your going to be dosing 10 to 20 X what the directions tell you to when your plants start growing. It’s OK to use but might cost more money then what other brands or DIY fertilizer will cost.

The drop checker is fine for a quick glance, but aim for a 1.0 drop in PH one hour after co2 is turned on and maintains that throughout the light cycle.
Some people take a cup of aquarium water and put a air bubbler in it for 24 hours and use the ph of the degassed water for a reference.

After you get the 1.0 ph dropped dialed in you can still raise the CO2 more very slowly over the course of days or weeks while paying close attention to livestock marking sure not to CO2 gas them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will grab a pH meter. Ill probably stick with the fluorish to use it up and then look at other options. I have one of those plant fertilizer water testing kits in my Amazon cart. This hobby is like a financial death by a thousand cuts, lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks, I will grab a pH meter. Ill probably stick with the fluorish to use it up and then look at other options. I have one of those plant fertilizer water testing kits in my Amazon cart. This hobby is like a financial death by a thousand cuts, lol.
Ya it is, I use Dry fertilizer and mix my own
This is what I have it last for a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill try that out. Do you use a specific testing kit with it? I use API plus I have gh and kh. The one that I was going to buy(nutritum) only has phosphate and iron in addition.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ill try that out. Do you use a specific testing kit with it? I use API plus I have gh and kh. The one that I was going to buy(nutritum) only has phosphate and iron in addition.
If you get the dry frets go here to get your mix right

I just use the liquid API test kits good enough for a hobbyist

1 - 9 of 9 Posts