The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can mangrove plants be happy in fresh water? Anyone tried growing them in FW? Is it an emersed plant or submersed plant? What about lighting on these guys?

Thanks for helping.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
They grow into trees, very large, over time. They need to be grown emersed, and do best in brackish water. They might grow in fresh for a while though- they're pretty tough plants. Many species available, too.

·
Registered
379 Posts
They can be grown in freshwater or saltwater, they aren't picky. The are an emersed plant only so the leaves must be out of the water. Lighting can be a simple flourescent or strong metal halide.

Fortunately they can be trimmed into bonsai style trees to keep them from growing into full sized plants.

·
Registered
363 Posts
hummm i never knew that i like the red mangrove ( i am guessing that's the mangrove most people use.) look a lot i set up my drift wood the try to look like there roots. use to snorkel in the mangroves all the time very pretty. i guess i have seen them pretty far up river so the water is portably not alot of salt in the water. next time i got to the park i will take a water sample and test it for salt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mangroves

They do equally well in fresh or saltwater but apparently aren't too good with change once they've acclimated. I've read you should only start with rootless propagules. Don't pull any out of the substrate (it's illegal anyway). Personally I was hoping to be able to do the bonsai thing but mine are up to 2 feet (about 1 yr old) and don't yet really have any branches to trim. Just big sticks with leaves at the top. I read somewhere that you can encourage the stilt roots by varying the water level thereby mimicking tides. I haven't tried it though.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
They do equally well in fresh or saltwater but apparently aren't too good with change once they've acclimated. I've read you should only start with rootless propagules. Don't pull any out of the substrate (it's illegal anyway). Personally I was hoping to be able to do the bonsai thing but mine are up to 2 feet (about 1 yr old) and don't yet really have any branches to trim. Just big sticks with leaves at the top. I read somewhere that you can encourage the stilt roots by varying the water level thereby mimicking tides. I haven't tried it though.
I think the Bonsai part is by trimming the roots like in bonsai to stunt the growth. Not by manipulating the branches.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
One thing to watch for, Aside from it getting large, the roots have been know to shatter tanks on older Mangroves so beware if the roots start pressing on your glass!Before anyone says "That's an urban Legend", i know someone who shattered a 100g All Glass Aquarium that he was using as a Refugium on his SW reef, Mind you the Mangrove was about 8 years old, But it did happen BOY WHAT A MESS!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts