The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A crying girlfriend because our puppy has just gone into surgery for a luxation of her patella...both knees are being operated on and its going to break our bank...but Charlotte should be fine afterwards...

Apparently this is a congenital defect and our vets never diagnosed this...and VPI doesn't cover this surgery.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Oooo..... sorry to hear.... Learning about that in my tissue mechanics class right now....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(. Cavalier King Charles? A LOT of toy breeds are susceptible to that complaint. I remember specifically asking about it (along with back and eye problems; I have a Pekingese,) when I was "shopping" more than 10 years ago.

There isn't a breed of dog that doesn't have some specific problem with it. The nice thing with purebreds is at least you know what to be on the lookout for rather than having it pop up out of the blue.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That is rough. I know your pain to a degree.

We spent around 3k+ in surgery on my cat when he was shot in the back with a pellet gun. It lodged next to his spine. We had first thought he was run over cause the back half of his body was paralyzed.
Unfortunately we could not save him. After surgery he became anemic and needed a blood transfusion. That's when we called it quits...Still hurts today.
Plus he was suffering. RIP Shadow.

I hope for the best with your dog and know she is in good hands.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've actually seen that kind of surgery before. It's really neat. The dog is fully sedated and gets painkillers afterwards so they never feel a thing. Your pup will be fine, your checkbook however may need a little recovery time. :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Excellent :proud: . I'm sure she'll be bouncing around in no time!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Beautifyl Cavalier King Charles! She will be fine. My mother worked for a vet, and I assisted in several surgeries. Just be sure and keep her quite...no jumping on or off the bed, couch, etc. It might be a good idea to purchase a dog crate to keep her in while she heals (if you don't already own one). Surgery can be expensive, but I am sure she is well worth it!

We also had a small dog with the same problems (got him later in life, so surgery was out of the question)...poor thing would run, and his knee would lock up, and he would hop on his other hind leg until he could come to a stop.

Good Luck with your puppy!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the dog named after Charlotte on Sex and the City??? Cause that looks like the dog she had on the show.
I didn't name her, but to a degree that's where the GF got the name...and we also got her from a breeder in Charlottesville, VA. Coincidence? I think not :)

Thanks to everyone for their support! We just picked her up today and yup, doctor's orders was peace and quiet and lots of sleep.

She actually stood on both legs (on ice!!) to pee...I only had to brace her a bit (using an old t-shirt rolled up and wrapped underneath her belly).

Poor thing has her entire butt shaved and has a radar dish to keep her from licking/chewing her stiches! I may post a pic later, but its almost too pathetic/cute at the same time!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Her hair will grow back soon enough! Give her some dignity...post pictures after she is healed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.