The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to pairs of Fundulopanchax gardneri 'Innidere' in a 34 gallon tank. All fish were immediately active when I added them yesterday, but stayed somewhat covered.

I fed them earlier and they ate well. One male is still adjusting to the water conditions, they went from a 7.4 pH tank to my 6.0 pH tank. Both males are the same size.

A few minutes ago I saw one of the males displaying bright breeding colors and chasing females. His attention is split between the two females and the other male. He's pushing the other male around and laying on top of him a lot, and puffing his gills up really big. The other male doesn't attack back, he just tries to get away and swims to cover again. There's no biting, nipped fins, or anything physically damaging.

Is it just during breeding moments that males do this? Or is it constant? Is it likely that he'll kill the other male? So far, there's no physical abuse, just one-way aggression.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
From what I remember a group of males will get along but two in a tank will generally fight till there is only one. But I haven't kept Gardner since the early 80's so I could be remembering wrong, or not. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
What about bloodworms and flakes? Mine are accepting both of those.

How often is often? Is there a set time increment or is it sporadic?
Flakes do little to condition them for breeding. I use to feed a variety of live and frozen from adult brine shrimp, wingless fruit flies and grin dal worms. My memory is a little fuzzy but I think I was getting a half dozen, give or take eggs several times a week. I am sure there were more that I missed in the mops but at the time only one pet shop was buying from me on a consistent basis so I did not need a lot. No ebay then to sell.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.