The Planted Tank Forum banner

Male German blue ram bothering female often

7629 9
I bought 2 German blues about a 5 days ago.

Beautiful fish that have acclimated to the tank and tankmates wonderfully! But I've noticed the female's black coloration will become pale at times and return to normal at others, sometimes quick enough for me to see the change. she's eating fine (mix of flake in the morning and brine shrimp at night) and doesn't look sickly at all.

The male causing this is my best guess. He'll chase her down so he can display and bugs her often to do so. Other than that they get along fine! None of the other fish ever bother them. They swim all around the tank now instead of just staying in one corner and behind the plants.

The male never hurts her from what I've seen, just chases and displays. They do get along often but mostly he wants to display.

Will this be harmful to the female?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the help and comments, sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread as much as I should have. :|

To answer a few questions...
The tank is a 37 gallon, well planted. Tankmates (not that they seem to notice them) are: 1 Bristlenose pleco, 3 zebra danios (3 died off because they're 3 years old at least) and 1 remaining glass cat (same as the danios). And no idea if they were bonded but they were swimming side by side at the fish store (there were a lot of them).

Everything seems fine now. They once again swim together peacefully (the female is a lot more active though, swimming up to the top of the tank when I lift the lid whereas the male doesn't even notice). The male has relaxed and doesn't seem as excited around her as he did, he's a lot more like when i brought him in: Calm, ignoring just about anything, and hanging back in the far left corner of the tank by a pirate skull decoration and some plants.

He never hurt her, but I had read up on these fish so i was afraid it might escalate, but everything seems perfectly fine! The female stopped changing color so drastically too! :grin2:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.