The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20G L with a school of White Cloud, two Sparkling Gouramis, and 6 Aeneus Corydoras. Five of the corydoras are bronze, and one is albino. The albino is a 1+ yr old, 2+ in female, extremely fat with eggs, has laid (unfertilized) eggs in the past (because there were no other corydoras). The others are a little over an inch and I've observed quite a bit of sparring between the males and courting with the females, the younger females aren't nearly fat enough so I was hoping the males would go after the larger, albino female. But for some reason, the males show no interest in her. They aren't afraid of her, but they don't try to court or breed at all, even when she follows them around. Could it be because she is intimidating to the males due to her size? Is that even possible? What are some reasons the (obviously active) males would not be interested in breeding with her?

I've considered the fact that I may have been accidentally sold an albino Sterbai, but the albino Sterbais seem to all have slight striping on the fins. The albino Aeneus, do no (like her).

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
They aren't t dancing at all? A lot of times when I've had spawnings I haven't witnessed the actual act, I've only seen the eggs after the fact (spanning many species). I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are purposefully trying to spawn them I'd pair a male with the female in a tank of their own. Some fish have a hard time spawning with other fish present, though I've never had this issue with cory before it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Rereading your post it may be that the males don't recognize her as a potential mate. They were introduced pretty far apart, from what it sounds, and she's visually quite different. Give it some time, maybe the boys will come around.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The males may not be sexually mature. If the female is a sterbai the males may make due with a different species. I had 3 Corydoras metae males & one C.sterbai female & I somehow ended up with a bunch of hybrids.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The males may not be sexually mature. If the female is a sterbai the males may make due with a different species. I had 3 Corydoras metae males & one C.sterbai female & I somehow ended up with a bunch of hybrids.
That's interesting! And yeah, the males chasing the females may be more play-related, less pursuing them as mates. I'm assuming it's like Plinkploop suggested and she's just so different in size and appearance that they don't even recognize her as a potential mate.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've had plenty of aeneus cory, both albino and bronze and they've never shown any hesitation to breed back and forth. Let them grow up some before you make any final calls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.