The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the quality of photo...this was at 6:30 am. You are looking at the shrimp on the green rock.

Also, can someone identify the moss tied to the rock? It looks kinda like the "Java" I bought off of ebay, but it also looks like Rainforest Fern frons. I got them from actioncia and he thinks they came from gabe. Will they attach to the rock or am I just wasting my time?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
looks like a juvenile shrimp to me... so, you can't really tell yet.
Your girl there is saddled. Congrats.

and moss looks like java moss too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks like a juvenile shrimp to me... so, you can't really tell yet.
Your girl there is saddled. Congrats.

and moss looks like java moss too.
Thanks, I have 4 females that I got from actioncia as small Juvies, and then I got 10 more from him...all small/med Juvies...all survived the trip (2nd 10 were in the"large box" compartment of the community mail box from Tues-Friday!...my kids had been cking mail...Way to pack JC!)...anyway, 1 of the saddled females molted yesterday, and no longer has a saddle. I am sooo hoping that one is a male, because the other young ones are very red already! After molting/mating...how long until eggs are laid?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Looks like a male to me, and males are typically a little smaller than females. And I blew up the picture, and it looks like he's holding a tiny beer. That's usually a guy thing. :)

BTW, that's a pretty good picture. The foreground is nice and clear.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a male to me, and males are typically a little smaller than females. And I blew up the picture, and it looks like he's holding a tiny beer. That's usually a guy thing. :)

BTW, that's a pretty good picture. The foreground is nice and clear.
I also posted on petshrimp.com...confirmed male!!! YEAH!!!!...just don't know if he is mature enough to breed. He came with the 2nd batch JC sent to me. I am so jealous of everyone having babies!!!! I can't wait to post "I've Got Babies!" LOL

I had just gotten up when I took that picture...walked into son's room where the tank is, and he was right against the glass...by the time I got my camera he had moved to the rock, but still out in the open...thanks for the compliment.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yeah that is a male. Even my adult males are similar in color to that one. Sometimes you get pretty red males, other times you get nearly clear ones.

As for breeding age I cannot say. My females are roughly the size of yours and they are holding eggs. Males aren't much bigger than the one pictured.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last Bump

Great news...I have 3 boys!!!

One of the big females molted sometime today, and the 3 boys are zipping around the tank! YEAH!!! Hopefully I will be having babies soon!...or at least eggs!:biggrin:

One male is redder than the rest. I may seperate him and my 2 reddest females.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts