The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about three dozen cherry shrimp in my 15 g planted tank. When I first got them many of the males were rather small and not adult size.

Over the past week most of the males (no females) have been swimming like they're on steroids!

In the last 7-10 days I've done two water changes of about 35% + each, the first was right before this behavior. I did notice this behavior one other time.

The 2nd WC was after this behavior started. The females seem to be content hanging out on the rock, driftwood, or climbing the plants.

Feeding is every other day with an occassional blanched greenbean or cucumber.

This is the water parameter:

Temp 77-78 F
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates between 5 & 10 ppm
pH 7.6
No Co2

Overall they appear to be healthy & happy. I'm just curious if this behavior is normal or if it means something. I do have berried shrimp, there are molt shells in the tank, and in three months I've only had one adult die on me.

I read an article that mentioned male shrimp behaving "strange" if the females excrete a pheromone when they're ready to mate. Could this be the cause?

Thanks,

Martin

PS: What is the max capacity of shrimp a 15g can comfortably hold?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It appears that I have about 12-18 males that are now adult that are flying around resembling "fighter jets" except for the "collisions" during "flight" !

About 3-4 weeks ago I had berried females but the males weren't acting quite this wild! LOL!

Its only now that I'm finally starting to see some of the babies as they are roughly 3/16" to 1/4" now and mostly translucent. When born they looked like dandruff IMO !

However, I don't have as many visible babies as I should. There is plenty of food and I gave their finned room mates away (6 cardinals tetras ,2 CPD's) some time ago.

Although I had been told & I also read that the cardinals & CPD's would be ok, AND I never actually saw attacks I was worried that baby shrimp might trigger a reaction.

Now that it seems likely that the males were lookin' to "get some" thus the reason for "actin' nuts" I'll be able to sleep better tonight!

I suppose if I had a water problem the females wouldn't be sitting around doing much of nothing except climbing around & eating all day! (Hmm,reminds me of my Ex! LOL!)

Does anyone know how many shrimp critters 15g can support before I have to cull them?

Eventually I would like to be able to sell some of them on ocassion.

Thanks,

Martin

·
Banned
943 Posts
Really there is not set number per gallons of water. It really has to do more with water surface area, bacteria colony, filtration, current, ect. With 15g and pretty good filtration I would guess 1-200. Probably a lot more but im guessing on the safe side.

Also from what I understand not all babies make it to juvies. Probably a lot of reasons why.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The first time females berry and carry eggs it is common for them to drop many of them due to inexperience and perhaps because they are smaller and it's tough to carry so many.

My first females I thought I'd have 20+ babies from each their first time. But my first two batches of babies were 3 shrimplets per female.

My CRS, so far I've found 1 baby !

But once they get some size and experience, Watch Out ! Cherry Shrimp explosion LOL.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I suspect a good bit of the crazy swimming is because the males can't use the pheromones to find the female shrimp in question. She releases them, then we very unhelpfully suck them into a filter and shoot them out in strange new directions. In the wild they'd be much more dilute, and they'd lead to a sexy lady.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I suspect a good bit of the crazy swimming is because the males can't use the pheromones to find the female shrimp in question. She releases them, then we very unhelpfully suck them into a filter and shoot them out in strange new directions. In the wild they'd be much more dilute, and they'd lead to a sexy lady.
An interesting hypothesis. It might seem to explain why the swim around drunkenly and usually start grabbing onto any other shrimp they can find lol.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Considering the way they (the males) were swimming around like drunks, and yes, crashing into each other numerous times (too many to count).....

I don't understand how they even manage to mate at all, considering the crazy behavior! LOL!

Coursair,

I also thought that if the 5-6 females in their first go at being pregnant should deliver roughly 100 baby shrimp.

Since I could only see one here and there I began wondering if I had done something wrong. Now its about 3 weeks later and now I see 1/4" or slightly larger babies that roughly equal about a dozen "survivors" .

When they were born I noticed some that looked like "dandruff" then floated down and laid there just as still as could be. A couple days later I noticed other "white specks" digging in the substrate. At that time I only counted 3 or 4 . Later on I saw two more living in the cracks in the driftwood.

Its possible the two in the DW had been part of the four previously counted. There were several "specks"(babies) that were stillborn and never moved again after being born.

BTW,my substrate is Eco-Complete(black) and I use a #30 Aquaclear filter with a sponge for a pre-filter and to keep critters out.

Thx,
Martin

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Their first time or two, they can drop most or all of the eggs or release them too early till they figure it out.

When I got my fire-reds, one was berried but either stress of being transported to me, or different tank param's or being a first time mom, I didn't see anything until a month later I found 2 little shrimplets. Now that my cherries have settled in, tank divider in place to keep them on their own side, I have about 8 or so berried females, loaded with lots and lots of eggs, so I expect a population explosion this time around and then even more the next time. Sometimes it takes a while for everything to balance out and start happening.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have regular & fire-red cherries. The fire-reds have a nicer & a much more intense red to them IMO and while both are nice shrimp I think that if I had to choose between them, while not real easy, it would have to be the fire-reds!

When your females are ready to drop the 'lil critters or have already done so, do you increase the frequency of feeding (everyday VS. every other/every 2nd day).

I was curious about the feeding because most times mine will eat everything if I put food out every other day. I have tried every day in small amounts and I seem to have less sucess.

Most of what I use comes from Ken's Fish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My (what i think are) males are swimming round like idiots tonight too! just did a 10/15% WC. the 2 i think are females (a lot redder) dont look saddled, but they too are just eating calmy! lol!. I got 6 shrimp but can only see 4 at the min, saw 5 last night, pretty sure 3 were male. is it possible my 6th shrimp is a female that has been hidden for the last week and is saddled? ( only got them last wednesday) or is it another problem entirely?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
After females molt, they hide from the males. Most often this means they're also hiding from you.

Even when a female isn't saddled, the smell of a fresh molt still intrigues males.

But likely you have a female hiding after her molt, and she's just praying that those males don't find her. hah

·
Registered
32 Posts
lol. thanks mordalphus. just seen my biggest "female?" shrimp a bit closer and there may be a very small yellowish patch where the saddle would be, but she wont sit at an angle where i can get a good look!!! is it usual for the saddle to begin very small and increase in size? or might it just be very few eggs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
thank you again :) these are my first shrimp (as you can probably tell!) i was just about to order another 25, but guess ill hang on a little while just in case. sorry for hijacking the post!! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.