The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a few shrimp to my 5g tank that is housing a male betta fish. There are some hiding places like a driftwood and some plants in the tank but I have seen the betta pretty much everywhere in the tank.

I know adding shrimps with betta is hit or miss and the betta may hunt/snack on them. I'm more concerned about the betta. Is there any possibility that either of these shrimpies would harm the betta in any way? Like gang up and trap it and tear the fins etc?

Also if I were to add shrimp, what is a good number to add to the tank? What if I'm adding only amano shrimp? What if I'm adding a mix of ghost+amano?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Just make sure you have ghost shrimp and not whisker shrimp, which look similar. Whiskers can get big and mean. I don't think ghosts will hurt your betta, and amanos definitely won't.
Amanos and ghosts have pretty much no bio-load... You could easily add three amanos, at least, or seven ghosts. I'd suggest you try a couple of ghosts first, see if the betta goes after them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would add one shrimp first, see if it survives a few weeks and then add a few more. Test those a few weeks, see if they still survive and then go from there.

I made the mistake of adding 3 ghost shrimp at the same time to one of my betta's tanks. During the next night he went after them like crazy and ate them all. Stopped him up, caused bloating from over feeding and he never recovered from it. Despite treatment, meds and everything we could think of - I killed one of our favorite betta's by putting the shrimp in there. I thought 3 was a low number but not when eaten all in the same night i guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would add one shrimp first, see if it survives a few weeks and then add a few more. Test those a few weeks, see if they still survive and then go from there.

I made the mistake of adding 3 ghost shrimp at the same time to one of my betta's tanks. During the next night he went after them like crazy and ate them all. Stopped him up, caused bloating from over feeding and he never recovered from it. Despite treatment, meds and everything we could think of - I killed one of our favorite betta's by putting the shrimp in there. I thought 3 was a low number but not when eaten all in the same night i guess.
Wow I haven't even thought of that. I'll experiment with 1-2 ghosts I think.

Just make sure you have ghost shrimp and not whisker shrimp, which look similar. Whiskers can get big and mean. I don't think ghosts will hurt your betta, and amanos definitely won't.
Amanos and ghosts have pretty much no bio-load... You could easily add three amanos, at least, or seven ghosts. I'd suggest you try a couple of ghosts first, see if the betta goes after them.
Would mixing ghosts and amanos work? So if my betta is cool with them, can I have 3 amanos and say 5 ghosts together?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Would mixing ghosts and amanos work? So if my betta is cool with them, can I have 3 amanos and say 5 ghosts together?
I have amanos and ghosts together, they did fine. The female ghosts were bigger and tried to pick on the amanos but the amanos stood up to them. They should be fine :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Shrimp and any fish with a mouth big enough to put them in will most likely not work, Many people have tried it and most have failed. There is always the few that have gotten it to work, with MANY hiding places that the bigger fish cannot get into, as well as a fish that doesn't pursue them viciously. So basically it all comes down to the fishes personality, as well as the ability for the shrimp to hide

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I tried unsuccessfully with all 7 of my males. I've seen enough setups to know that it is in fact possible though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts