The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two german blue rams that i believe to be a male and female from personal id'ing and getting opinions form other hobbyists. But I have a problem with this. My supposed female is bigger than the supposed male. She has the pinkish purplish belly and is a beautiful goldish color and shines gold with light. She has the black spot that looks dark but is not completely black. It has minimal blue spots. Then I have my male ram who doesnt have huge second and third rays in the front like some males but they do look bigger than the other fins on the top fin(sorry forgot name.) He doesnt have a pink belly but doesn't have a solid black spot. When he is feeding or feels teritorial, it gets solid black otherwise it is almost missing. It is very faint. He is very blue compared to the other one's strong gold color. And he shines a nice blue shade as well. Since I had them, they have been getting along fine. I had them for about two months. Recently, in the past two weeks and still going on now, the supposed female chases the male away from certain spots. If he goes near a rock on the right side of the tank he gets chases back to the otherside. Or sometimes he just gets chased for no reason. She will peck at him but doesnt seem to hurt him. I mean they have been living together for a while now and i bought them from the same tank. Tell me what you think but while you do i will try to get some photos i have of them.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here you go....the supposed male in front and the supposed female following. these were old pics when i just got them so they didnt have their best colors showing but that is what they look like now just a little faded here.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Rear fish is definitely female. The front could be a female or male from that angle. Hard to tell.

And just because you have a male and female doesn't mean they will pair off. I have a male and female and they are not a pair, they get a long but they haven't tried spawning or other pair behavior.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i know that they dont have to pair. I just thought it is odd that in person(hard to tell from photos) that the female is a bit larger then the male. And that she is chasing him when i thought the male would be more dominant. Is it possible that they are two females.

Here is more pics of the front one, the supposed male...This is all of the same fish even though color seems to change due to lighting and angle. I found a ton of these i took.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's a male in your second set of photos. Dorsal and anal fins extend past the caudal fin and have a pointed rear tip. Caudal fin has a visible V-shape to it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The smaller one might be younger, or just might not grow to full size. There are a lot of factors here. I've also seen where one cichlid wasn't showing its full colors when around another dominant fish. With some convicts, I thought for sure I had a male until I separated it from the female and gave it a chance to settle in.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Looks like a male to me.

I think either 1) the male is young or 2) the male is not a "dominant" male and the female has rejected him.

One of my male rams remained much smaller than all 5 of my other rams, was bullied by the other male and females alike, and eventually died... even though they had a 90gal tank to spread around in.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i dont know about spawning behavior since i've never had two rams before. Maybe he'll mature and stick up for him self soon. Do they get nippy and aggressive when then want to spawn? The rams' colors come out more when they do certain things. When she chases him and picks at him, her abdominal belly region turns really purplish pink.More than usual but just absolute beautiful colors. Sometimes his black spot will be dark but most of the time it is faded because i think of the stress she gives him at times. He is usually just a sky blue color. Hopefully they come around and be peaceful again.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh i will have to check. if her belly is plump does that mean she wants to spawn? Will he eventually stop being so stressed from it? I hope he eventually accepts her and stops being so scared. Well, she is definitely thicker them him and her belly seems plumper than his so I don't know.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Deep pink rounded belly means she's full of eggs and wants to lay them.

Unfortunately, it IS possible that she'll kill him if he doesn't respond to her advances.

Either he's too young, or he's a she who looks like a he... and I think your best bet is to separate them if things if he hasn't paired up with her by tomorrow.

Otherwise you're most likely to end up with a dead Ram.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You could try that.

If you do, I'd recommend either redecorating the tank just before adding the new fish, or temporarily also removing the female and adding them both at the same time. This can help put the new male on "equal footing" in the tank with the female, instead of being "the new kid on the block".

Cichlids can be pretty territorial and aggressive fish, especially come spawning time.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I had one female ram that would breed at 1.5" but I think 2" is usually full grown.

It may be that this female simply won't accept a smaller male, or just doesn't like this male, or this male just doesn't like her...

Kinda like humans, fish won't always just "click" with the available representative of the opposite gender, sometimes they're picky... :hihi:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts