The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one thing that I have learned from my shrimp-keeping catastrophe
(details here:http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp-other-invertebrates/144454-all-my-shrimp-dead.html)

Malawa Shrimp are practically indestructible.
When put through the same conditions as fire reds and rilis, I don't know if ANY died. I initially though that I had some malawa survivors. I just finally mustered up the ambition to clean out all of my dead shrimp bodies. After I put the cholla back in the malawa section I found a TON of malawas clinging to it within minutes. Other than that, I lost 55 adult and hundreds of baby rilis with no survivors a couple dozen crystals, and 70+ juvie/young adult fire reds. I have one fire red survivor.

On top of this, when I put my plants in water with a tiny bit of bleach, one malawa starting jumping and I realized he had gotten out of the tank on the plant. I plucked him up and put him in the tank and HE LIVED. Seriously...can anything kill these guys? They are amazingly resilient.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hmmm. Too bad they're not kept as commonly as others...
Hmmm. It wasn't all that long ago that no shrimp were commonly kept... except in the freezer. Hardiness is a definite issue for several of the commonly kept, overly-inbred types.

There are pros and cons to keeping any type of shrimp, but I've reached the conclusion that if the shrimp and the source water are basically copacetic, problems are substantially reduced.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hmmm. Too bad they're not kept as commonly as others...
I think it's the lack of eye candy plus the price they're selling for that keeps them lower in popularity at this point. They aren't boldly colored or anything like that, unfortunately. I'm sure someone will breed them into a more traditionally beautiful form while also breeding them into delicacy...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Amanos aren't the most beautiful species, but they are common enough. Price, especially in a tough economy, is a definite drawback for any sulawesi species.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts