The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed that my fish have ick so I did a little research and found that malachite green is commonly used as a treatment. When I stopped by my only LFS, the only treatments I could find contained malachite green in which the owner of the store said was incompatable with neons which happen to be the only fish in my tank right now. Has anyone had problems with this treatment and neons? Any suggestions? :help: Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used malachite green to cure a fungal infection and it worked well. However, I wouldn't put it in a display tank. I did, and the tank underwent another cycle because it not only killed the disease, but beneficial bacteria as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I broke down and got the malachite green treatment and am using half the recommended dosage.

I used malachite green to cure a fungal infection and it worked well. However, I wouldn't put it in a display tank. I did, and the tank underwent another cycle because it not only killed the disease, but beneficial bacteria as well.
I actually considered that, figured that I would take out the chemical filter cartridges as those contain much of the necessary bacteria and have them soaking in a bucket of tank water until the treatment period is complete. My wife would let me have it if I had to re-cycle the tank as I just finished cycling it and because of the money I've shelled out so far!

Why not just use salt and up the temp.?
Wasn't too sure about whether my tetras would have withstood a higher temp along with salt. The LFS owner said that tetras were very fragile but that could have been his sales pitch too! Got me hook, line and sinker anyway... :redface:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.