The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise that it is my fault for letting this get out of control. Last night it was like " THE INVASION OF THE SNAILS". There must have been thousands sliming their way up the glass. I'm suprized that they didn't pull the fish down and devour them alive.

I spent 2 hours last night manualy removing snails. From the surface, from the glass and from the bottom. Then again again today any snail the get within reach get pulled.

I think I'm winning.

·
Registered
256 Posts
you think that...just wait til the lights go off. ;)
Very true.....lol. Ramshorns in my tank always come out of the woodwork at night for some reason. I had to turn the lights on last night there must have been 10 on the glass alone in a 10g with at least 20 more crawling around. Surprised me because I thought I only had like 3-4 in the tank.....lol. Goes to

·
Registered
40 Posts
I realise that it is my fault for letting this get out of control. Last night it was like " THE INVASION OF THE SNAILS". There must have been thousands sliming their way up the glass. I'm suprized that they didn't pull the fish down and devour them alive.

I spent 2 hours last night manualy removing snails. From the surface, from the glass and from the bottom. Then again again today any snail the get within reach get pulled.

I think I'm winning.

I know they don't look the best crawling over the glass at night, but why do you want to get rid of them? They keep the substrate moving and eat left over food and algae.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The best solution is probably to avoid overfeeding. The population controls itself if there isn't much for them to eat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know they don't look the best crawling over the glass at night, but why do you want to get rid of them? They keep the substrate moving and eat left over food and algae.
If I had a 1/2 inch layer in an icecream bucket after scooping out, sounds like he's got an infestation which really wrecks havoc on the beauty of a tank as all you see is snails =_=

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Significantly drop your feeding levels. Snails boom with overfeeding. Get a large piece of boiled zucchini or lettuce, tie a string around it, and leave it in your tank. In the morning before the lights go on, pull it out. It'll be covered with snails.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was actually thinking about getting some MTS for a 10 gal tank in my classroom, because I've got a pretty fine sand substrate that I'm worried about. Should I think again? Plus it kills me to pay for something that is an infestation in others' tanks. How big do these snails get?

·
Registered
375 Posts
rlong said:
I think I'm winning.
Keep on dreaming the impossible! Some day it might come true!

just kidding!

A slice of cucumber on the bottom and them come back an hour later you'll get quite a few that way!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
A slice of cucumber on the bottom and them come back an hour later you'll get quite a few that way!
That's a waste of time. You can't kill a population by feeding it. Who knows how many snails will eat the food and shortly disappear only to lay more eggs. The only way I have ever found to control any snail population is to deny them food and manually removed them.

Only feed as much as your fish will eat without leftovers and manually remove snails 2-3 times a day.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hey guys can't any of you contrive a MTS trap. A container with flap type doors which push to open from the outside only. A netted window to allow the smell of bait spread over the aquarium. Left with cucumber bait at night, and emptied during the day.

I don't have any MTS but I catch my catfishes with such a trap only the bait is different. Itis impossible to catch the cats any other way without causing havoc to my plants.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hey guys can't any of you contrive a MTS trap. A container with flap type doors which push to open from the outside only. A netted window to allow the smell of bait spread over the aquarium. Left with cucumber bait at night, and emptied during the day.

I don't have any MTS but I catch my catfishes with such a trap only the bait is different. Itis impossible to catch the cats any other way without causing havoc to my plants.
You may pull some out in the morning but the majority will have eaten and left only to increase their numbers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts