The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the title says, I am making the plunge into pressurized co2. I have everything ready to go.

55 gallon tank
5lb co2 tank
Milwalkee CO2 Regulator w/Solenoid Diaphragm Valve & Bubble counter CO-MA957 (sorry rex, I just couldn't convince the wife to spend the extra money)
Approx 3.5watts per gallon of lights (ah supply 2x96 bright light kit)
Output of co2 plumbed into output of Rena XP3 with DIY diffuser

Plants will be Amazon swords, several val's, Ludwigia Repens, some rotala, java fern on a piece of driftwood,and a java moss wall.

Am I missing anything?

I have read Rex's guide on How to setup Pressurized co2 system So I feel a little confident on how to make things work.

Any tips? Ideas? Something to calm my fears?

·
Registered
786 Posts
get a brass check valve for in between your bubble counter and the tank. I think I got one from Rex for ~$12 including shipping. Plastic will degrade over time from the CO2. Get a $2 bottle of glycerin from the drug store to fill your bubble counter with - otherwise you'll be refilling it every other week to compensate for evaporation. A cheap $1 limewood airstone works great as a micro-fine diffuser until you get the ADA bug. :icon_wink You'll love your new CO2 setup! congrats!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The check valve is what I forgot! Thank you!

As usual, you think you post everything, but you always leave one thing out. I already have the co2 tubing, but thank you for pointing that out!

Also thanks for the information of the glycerin. Ive been reading the debates in here about using water vs glycerin.

What I got from it was the closer the bubble counter is to the solenoid, the more people use glycerin.

I'm still reading on that one!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts