The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm obviously, still very new to this, but I'm trying to get my stem plants to grow in thicker. Most of the lower leaves died off as the plants got settled. I've been trimming them to half tank about once a week, and am starting to notice some new shoots on the lower nodes (?).

Tank Setup:
VERY simple 10 gallon, not trying for anything fancy, just trying to get the plants to fill in

Flora: Marimo Ball, banana plant, java moss, Green hygro, wisteria
Fauna: 7 Young adult guppies, 2 bronze cory cats, assorted snails

Question: Am I doing this right? Should I be trimming them shorter?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
light... let's see, according to the hood 19W, no co2, ferts: does fish poop count?

Like I said, nothing fancy, just trying to get them to fill in a little. Mostly curious about my trimming habits, and whether I should trim them shorter, longer, more frequently? I just wait till they reach the water lever and trim them.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Your trimmings are fine. When stems are happy they will send out more noodles off the base or top of middle... (or anywhere) of the stem. Its perfectly normal in my experience.

-Andrew

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
don't expect too much from a 10 gallon tank.
And fish poop provide some nutrients like nitrogen & phosphate but not much else. And I'm assuming you just have normal gravel substrate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.