The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whipped this out for making my water change less frantic, as I use the hose method for re-filling. I found all the parts at my local big box store and cost me $5.97 before tax.

1 ct. 1/2" to 3/4" FHT adapter (found with all the drip irrigation stuff. They also have 3/4" to 3/4" FHT adapters.)
1/2" PVC (I used about a foot)
1 ct. 1/2" ball valve
2 ct. 90° elbows
1 ct 1/2" tee

Hope this helps somebody somewhere.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've done something very similar, with a couple of changes that I'd call improvements. Firstly, rather than having a T piece at the bottom, I put on an end cap and drilled lots of small holes. That way, no small fish can get sucked in and out of the tank. Important for me as I often hook this thing up and walk away. You can change the amount of water removed by adjusting how high the holes are drilled.

Secondly, I used a coupling without glue that allows me to remove the tube with holes drilled and attach a siphon in it's place. I'll generally use that on the substrate to target areas that I'm uprooting or just for a weekly vacuum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.