The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I've been looking around this site for a couple of weeks now and I have felt in love w some of the tanks that I've seen here. So I decided to try and make my own planted tank.

Tank:30G
Filter: TopFin 40
CO2: DIY w/ Glass CO2 diffuser w DIY bubble counter
Lighting:26W CFL X2
Heater: 100W ? brand set at 75degrees
Substrate: Pool Filter Sand "Don't ever buy at HomeDepot is not the same thing"

Flora:
Purple Cabomba
Subulata
Rosette Sword
Crypt Ciliat
Amazon Sword
Java Moss
Banana Plant
Onion Plant

Fish:
Black Knife Ghost Fish
Angel Fish
Neon Tetra
Clown Loaches

Here's my dosing schedule

Monday-1/4TSP KNO3, 5ml CSM+B, 1ml Flourish Iron
Tuesday- 1/8 K2SO4, 1/16KH2PO4
Wednesday- 1/4TSP KNO3, 5ml CSM+B
Thursday- 1/8 K2SO4, 1/16KH2PO4
Friday- 1/4TSP KNO3, 5ml CSM+B, 1ml Flourish Iron
Saturday- 1/8 K2SO4, 1/16KH2PO4
Sunday 50% WC

Update Pics 1/18/10

Here is the start of my journal.

Setting up the sand

Locating the rocks

Adding the plants

The final look for now

I plan on adding a black background,some riccia for grass along w some other plants, and getting a glass CO2 diffuser

Water is still kind of cloudy hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow

any suggestion, advise or comments are welcome I'm new at this some any feedback is great

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Substrate: Pool Filter Sand "Don't ever buy at HomeDepot is not the same thing"

Water is still kind of cloudy hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow
If it doesn't a biological clarify, such as Nutrafin Bio-clear, will speed up the process.

I have used play sand, pool filter sand from pool company, pool filter sand from Home Depot, and river sand from landscaper. I like river sand the best. I have just sifted the large granules out and put it in the tank. It cleared up in a day.

If you are in to Java fern. You can get some for about $3, with no sihpping, on Ebay. I bought 1 from aquaticmajic and it was as big as 2 plants.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks yeah I have some water clarifier so I'll try that later on if it doesn't clear up, well I went and got a glass co2 diffuser. I think I might get some more java fern for the rocks but I definitely want riccia for grass I also got two banana plants. I think my tank is cycling already I bought this "Seachem Stability New Tank Stabilization System" it says I can add fish at any time as long as I keep on using the product for 7 days so I'll see.

Here's some pics

·
Registered
574 Posts
Great start and welcome to the forum! I also think you might want to move the sword...

not sure which "principle" it is, but it's somewhat distracting to have the focal point directly in the center

keep up the good work!

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
It is the golden rule concerning focalization . I found info here. Also Tex Guy, member of APC and Tex Gal's husband, had a conference explaining it. At the conference learned that the focal points can be found by putting tape on tank from left top corner to right bottom corner, right top corner to left bottom corner, and in center from top to bottom.b

·
Registered
293 Posts
It is the golden rule concerning focalization . I found info here. Also Tex Guy, member of APC and Tex Gal's husband, had a conference explaining it. At the conference learned that the focal points can be found by putting tape on tank from left top corner to right bottom corner, right top corner to left bottom corner, and in center from top to bottom.b
Known as the "rule of thirds" in photography. Always better to have the main focal point in the right third or left third of center. I know this because I minored in photography :).

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
As long as the plants are doing well don't worry about the haze. It is really not that bad. I have seen worse with new tanks. One whom did mineralized substrate had a green haze, which eventually went away on its own.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gave away 3 of my fish Rainbow Shark,Striped Raphael Cat, and some one other one I can't remember the name. I also went to my local electronic store and got some LED's,Restors, and a switch to do a DIY moonlight. Will post pics later for any one in the Houston are ACE electronics off Antoine has everything you need for anything electronics

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.