The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new tank and want a smaller version of my albino red lace snakeskin guppies, however that won't happen easily.

I'm thinking of a few options and want to know how hard/easy it would be to do this...

a) Buy a yellow male endler-guppy (black eye) from Petsmart and breed it with an albino female red lace snakeskin (red eye)
b) Buy a male pure endler (black eye, gray body) and breed it with a female albino red lace snakeskin (red eye, yellow body)

How hard would this be? Do you think I'd get a smaller version of the red lace snakeskin within a couple generations? Or would I end up with something kind ugly and random that I'd want to get rid of?

·
Registered
782 Posts
The females, endler or no, will always be on the larger size.
I'm assuming you are setting up a smaller tank, hence the smaller sized guppies.
It would be easier to select the smallest boys you get from your albinos red laces,
and put them in there.
You would then have to breed the smallest boys to the smallest girls, and selectively cull.

By out crossing with other gups and endlers, you don't know what you are going to get.
I'd keep my eye out for similar strains of your guppies that tend to run on the small side.
This would be the quickest way with less tanks going on, but still no guarantee. It takes a long time.

Or, you could have another "Mad Scientist" tank set up to try your out-crosses.
Might get something neat in the process, but be prepared for MTS to get cha :)

-Stef*

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
!!

The females, endler or no, will always be on the larger size.
I'm assuming you are setting up a smaller tank, hence the smaller sized guppies.
It would be easier to select the smallest boys you get from your albinos red laces,
and put them in there.
You would then have to breed the smallest boys to the smallest girls, and selectively cull.

By out crossing with other gups and endlers, you don't know what you are going to get.
I'd keep my eye out for similar strains of your guppies that tend to run on the small side.
This would be the quickest way with less tanks going on, but still no guarantee. It takes a long time.

Or, you could have another "Mad Scientist" tank set up to try your out-crosses.
Might get something neat in the process, but be prepared for MTS to get cha :)

-Stef*
It's actually a 34 gallon tank, but the pump might be too strong for a delta tail guppy with long fins. I know there are albino red lace guppy strains out there with tiny tails, I just can't find them on aquabid.

I guess since it wouldn't immediately work well, it may not be worth the time trying, just in case I end up with ugly mutts. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
782 Posts
You're welcome.
With so many guppies out there, you might as well get something you enjoy looking at day after day. Breeding your own strain is rewarding, but very time consuming and a space-eater.
-Stef*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts