The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I want to revive my tank, but i have some questions on my lighting.

I have a 96watt power compact over a 50 gallon tank. Is it bad for water to evaporate onto the bulb?

Also since the width is 18inches should I leave the strip in the middle, front or back? Or just simply move the plants where the light is

The 50 gallon tank has a bar in the middle which seems to block lighting, is this a big interference to the lighting distribution or just minor?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi I want to revive my tank, but i have some questions on my lighting.
Welcome back.

I have a 96watt power compact over a 50 gallon tank. Is it bad for water to evaporate onto the bulb?
Splashing, and hard water can leave mineral deposits on the bulb reducing it's effectiveness. Since you have NYC water (nice and soft) mineral deposts may not be much of an issue, but I would worry about worst part is moisture in the end caps corroding the contacts. IMHOI like glass tops, unless the lights are suspended open air above the tank.

Also since the width is 18inches should I leave the strip in the middle, front or back? Or just simply move the plants where the light is
If you get glass tops, put it behind the hinge. Otherwise just move it to cover where you have the plants. If you have a "beach front" move the light more to the back.

The 50 gallon tank has a bar in the middle which seems to block lighting, is this a big interference to the lighting distribution or just minor?
I have 2 cross bars on my 125, and the light gets in there. No worried there.

Thanks in advance!
HTH

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.