The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob, and I'll blatantly put that out there. :icon_redf

What are all of the pieces and parts needed for a good Co2 system? The tank in question is just a 55. I've never really payed much attention on how to do this. So in the simplest words possible, what are the parts, what do they do, and how do I use them?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You need a CO2 tank (botttle), which can be a paintball tank, a 5 pound tank, a 10 pound tank, etc. That gets filled with liquid CO2 at a fire extinguisher service store, a home brew store, paint ball store, etc. Then, you need a regulator, which attaches to the outlet of the CO2 tank, to reduce and control the pressure of the CO2 gas from the tank to around 20-30 psi. Attached to that, and included in regulator assemblies sold for aquarium use, is a solenoid valve, to allow you to use a timer to turn on and off the CO2. Following that is a needle valve, that regulates the CO2 flow rate, in bubbles per second, to the aquarium. Ideally, downstream of that is a bubble counter, which lets you see the bubbles of CO2 so you can see what the flow rate is. After that should be a check valve, that allows flow to the aquarium, but not back from the aquarium. And, last is a CO2 reactor or diffuser, to combine the CO2 with the tank water.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I went through all this just a few weeks back and just decided to buy one. I know I prob spent more than I had to but Im so happy with my decision. No headaches no worries about will this fit that and I going to blow up the house(trust me Im capable of blowing up the whole building). Plus it has a warranty if I have problems I just bring it back So just keep that as an option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.