The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the premium rapid LED heatsink or the makers heatsink and was curious if people had opinions on either? Would be getting either 2 of the 20" rapid led ones or 1 36" or 48" makers one. Both have T slots for the leds and acrylic splash guards as well as fan mounting.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just finished a DIY LED with the premium Rapid LED heatsink and I am VERY happy with it. Very well built, and cools the LEDs effectively (with the fan). I went with this one because I thought the Makers heatsink was kind of ugly and my light is hanging over an open top tank in my living room, so aesthetics matter.

-Justin

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just finished a DIY LED with the premium Rapid LED heatsink and I am VERY happy with it. Very well built, and cools the LEDs effectively (with the fan). I went with this one because I thought the Makers heatsink was kind of ugly and my light is hanging over an open top tank in my living room, so aesthetics matter.

-Justin
Aesthetics don't matter to me as its going in a canopy, but thats good to know about the cooling aspect. How many LEDs do you have on it, and whats your total wattage? Any pics?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am running 33 LEDs in a 20" premium enclosure. I also have all of the drivers in the enclosure as well, so there is some heat coming off of them as well. Total of 81 watts of LEDs at full brightness, not sure how much heat the drivers are putting out. I am running the fan at only 9.5 volts for noise - not that it's all that noisy, you probably wouldn't hear it at 12 V in a canopy. There is a noticeable little breeze getting blown out the ends when the fan is on. I will try to take some pics tonight - I've been meaning to do a build post, but haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm currently looking at the Makers Slim Heatsink, I prefer its looks to the original makers. Not sure if you looked at that one or not.

david

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought a 42" Makers and the aluminum was milled well, the hardware excellent, but the fans were just average. Quite noisy even in a canopy. Switched those out immediately. I did not use any of the end caps or splash guard, nor any of their associated electronics which are designed for a custom fit.

I used 1/4" aluminum rods that are inserted into a channel and those rest on a ledge within the canopy. I like that I can slide the unit front or back the entire width of the tank.

A very well made product.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a 42" Makers and the aluminum was milled well, the hardware excellent, but the fans were just average. Quite noisy even in a canopy. Switched those out immediately. I did not use any of the end caps or splash guard, nor any of their associated electronics which are designed for a custom fit.

I used 1/4" aluminum rods that are inserted into a channel and those rest on a ledge within the canopy. I like that I can slide the unit front or back the entire width of the tank.

A very well made product.

Thats exactly my plan with the rods and ledge in my canopy. Do you have any pictures of how it looks in yours?

·
Registered
206 Posts
right now the canopy is off since I am in the process of converting canister to sump and need access to the internal boxes etc. I did post the actual heat sink itself on another lighting post. Here is a pic of the bars protruding out of the unit. The ledge is easy to understand, just screw a 1x1 or 1x2 or even a strip of plywood to the inside sides of the canopy. Mine are currently about 10" over the water line but before I reinstall the canopy, I plan on lowering the front of the ledge in order to tilt the fixture slightly to the rear to avoid blinding the room when the lid is open.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts