The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a power head (for better water circulation) with an air line attachment to add air bubbles to the tank. But the air line would add bubbles all the time which I did not want because I use CO2.

I did not have a prefilter and was thinking that it might become clogged up.

So I had an old HOB filter laying around from my smaller 10 gal tank.
What I did was remove the filter fabric from the filter and discarded the charcoal. I then folded it in half lengthwise and stitched across the short end and then up the long end leaving one short end open. Then to keep the prefilter open, I cut the plastic grid from the old HOB filter to be rolled to fit inside the prefilter. Then I took an extra plastic check valve and forced it through the fabric from the inside out just letting the nipple of the check valve to be exposed where I attached the air hose. Now with a rubber band I attached the new prefilter to the inlet of the power head. And then to make cleaning easier, I tied a mesh bag around the prefilter which also help hold the hose in a vertical position.

I first added my air hose from my air pump to the power head but the power head was to strong and still was able to suck air through the air pump allowing bubbles to continue all the time. So putting the air hose inside the filter with the air pump on a timer at night allowed the air to only be run at night.

The resulting prefilter works great and at no cost. It is about 2 inches in diameter and about 4 to 5 inches long. The first one I built was only about 2 inches long but it clogged up to fast.

I use this on my 29 gal tank which also has a Fluval 205 which in my opinion is not strong enough for a 29 gal tank.

One final note. The power head needs to be below the water surface or the air line fitting on top of the power head needs to be blocked off or you will continue to have bubbles all the time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
why not just stick the venturi airline in your tank when you don't want air, and take it out when you do? :icon_lol:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would work if I wanted to make sure I was here when my CO2 and lights came on and and went off everyday. But this is something that does not need any attention and now I have another filter to ad in removing debris which my Fluval 205 is slow in accomplishing. High fish load and high plant load.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts