The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Is it hydrotested? If not it's like a 20+ dollar expense to get up to code. And if it's broke, free scrap metal I guess?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Look in the yellow pages for industrial gasses and call them to find out where the plant is where they are filled. I do believe you will need to go there to have it tested after it runs out. Used to work for a distributor and went to their supplier a few times.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look in the yellow pages for industrial gasses and call them to find out where the plant is where they are filled. I do believe you will need to go there to have it tested after it runs out. Used to work for a distributor and went to their supplier a few times.
in the what? Lol, havent used the yellow pages since like 2003 haha

I found one not too far and called already, they just swap it out for a new one on the spot, charge you the hyrotest fee, but give you a new one. to make it better than that, the corner liquor store refills them!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You should have some local welding shops that can perform the testing. I have two by my house. The downside is it is not a quick and easy test and as such, you may need to leave it for a week or more. You also will not be able to get it filled if they note the expiration.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would be surprised by a welding shop that does hydrostatic testing, it is two entirely different operations. That may explain the having to leave your tank for a week. I used to own a scuba store and took all my tanks to a place that tested and recharged fire extinguishers. They had their own hydro testing equipment since they used it all the time for their tanks.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Each place you take it may have a different reaction to the date. First try for me was a large gas supply and they charged me $40 for a hydro and gave me one that expired in 2 months. I went to a different place and found them far more agreeable. They said if I was going to be buying gas, they would cover the testing. We swap tanks routinely now and they never look at the one I bring in. Set it on the dock under the "empty" sign and pick up under the "full". They do expect me to go inside and pay!

It pays to find the guy that wants your business enough to cover the small stuff.

Does that tank look kinda short for a twenty?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts