The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got myself into a bit of a pickle here folks, and I'll need your help...

So I went away for the weekend and I came back to quite a mess.
Almost all of my jungle val and java fern appear to be melting, my fish are dying (four otos so far), and there is algae EVERYWHERE (FRRUUSSSTTRRAATTIIOOONNNN)!!

Anyways, I'll give you as much detail as I can.

Algae- It's a dark green/blue that has covered most of the glass and the plants

Water PAR- Not a clue. I don't have a test kit (probably should get one) but my water comes from a well and it's hard water.

Equipment-
29 Gallon tank
Fluval Aqualife & Plant LED Strip Light - 25W - On 6 hour/day
Marina 150W Heater
40gal sponge filter
-I feel like my bad filtration may be a major cause. I plan on upgrading to a canister ASAP

Flora-
Jungle Val
Dwarf Sag
Ludwigia
Amazon swords
Java Fern
Anubias
Rotala

Fauna-
6 Gold Barbs
2 Oto cats
3 Glowlight Tetras
3 Blue-Eyed Rainbows

Feeding-
I lightly feed daily and I feel like the person I left in charge may have overfed but I see no food on the bottom and the water isn't cloudy.

There's a lot of things that need corrected in this tank but I figured I'll start with the algae.

My plan:
Scrub off all possible algae from glass/plants/equipment
100% Water Change
Dose with algae eliminator (Not much. This stuff doesn't really have directions so I go by 1 drop per 2 gallons)
Do a 2 day black out

Anyone's opinion is welcome. Like I said, I'm in a serious pickle and any advise will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds like Cyanobacteria. I have heard you get it when co2 levels are too low. I used peroxide to get rid of mine then went with diy co2 and never got it again.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Do you have any pics? Cyano tends to show up when nitrates hit 0 or appear in areas where there is low flow(dead spots) and nutrients aren't being distributed sufficiently. I'd say clean out as much as you can by hand VERY carefully and add extra nitrate. I had it once. I picked out what I could with my fingers, re positioned the powerhead to add extra flow to that area and doubled my kno3 dosage and it never came back. I got very lucky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a problem with cyanobacteria on a few occasions. I ended up completely covering the tank for 3 days or so and was all gone when I uncovered it. I also added a powehead for circulation which seems to have helps as i haven't seen any since.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Other than possibly overfeeding, like jerman83 asked, what was diffeent while you were gone ? Do you have your light on a time ? Can/will you describe the light(s) more fully ?
From the way you list it, I can't tell if it's one or two fixtures for sure.
That is a good enough filter for that amount of fish. Plenty of breeders just use those only. This link gives some good info on your issue.
You have a problem which will almost take care of it's self but you may need to up-grade
your tank care to help from it coming back. The link describes the use of ferts for it
and I think that the PPS system woud be best for your tank but the EI is also good.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21944
And this link describs why we use ferts in an easy to understand way.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107303

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Did you by chance leave the light on the entire time? This could explain more algae and possibly some plants melting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Other than possibly overfeeding, like jerman83 asked, what was diffeent while you were gone ? Do you have your light on a time ? Can/will you describe the light(s) more fully ?
From the way you list it, I can't tell if it's one or two fixtures for sure.
That is a good enough filter for that amount of fish. Plenty of breeders just use those only. This link gives some good info on your issue.
You have a problem which will almost take care of it's self but you may need to up-grade
your tank care to help from it coming back. The link describes the use of ferts for it
and I think that the PPS system woud be best for your tank but the EI is also good.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21944
And this link describs why we use ferts in an easy to understand way.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107303
Thanks!
I think the only thing that could of changed is the feeding.
The light is on a timer so it wasn't that.
I don't really know much about the light exept that it's a fluval LED and my lfs sold it to me for dirt cheap (1 fixture).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Did a 3 day blackout.
This is killed off almost all the algae.

BUT!

The algae came back seeking revenge. It. Is. Awful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts