The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble keeping my co2 consistent at 30ppm throughout the daytime hours. I have a manual pressurized system and I turn the co2 off at night via solenoid. My co2 levels are ranging from a low of 10ppm in the morning to a high of 30ppm in the evenings. It's taking 10 hours to reach optimum concentration causing less than favorable conditions for the plants and I'm afraid if I increase the co2; it will go higher than 30ppm by the end of the day. Obviously a PH controller would fix this, but before I buy one, is there a way to reach 30ppm faster without going over? Also without running the system 24/7?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
467 Posts
with a controller it'll just turn off once it reaches a set ph level, which you'd need to work out for the proper co2 ppm.

you can reach your desired ph in a couple of minutes with a controller, then maintain it without wasting co2.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you're trying to find a solution that will only get to 30 ppm and never go over, I don't think that's attainable w/o a controller. But, it would be interesting to hear how those that turn on CO2 'with the lights' and don't have a controller maintain their CO2 levels.

I can't come up with a good suggestion. I ended up purchasing a controller to compensate for a poor needle value, so I 'avoided' that issue.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I used to have my co2 come on 2 hours before the lights did. That way co2 conctration would be up to par by lights on. I had fooled around with the needle valve so when the lights went out, the pH had actually went up a little, say from 6.1-6.3. When your nearing lights out plants have mostly used all the co2 they're going to for the day.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you are concerned about the whole thing, and don't want to go pH controller, you can do what I do before I got a solenoid. Use an air pump. put it on a timer to go on at a time when you think CO2 is > 30 ppm for an hour. Or even better, crank your CO2, then have the air pump come on in the middle of your photo period for 15 minutes. That should degas enough that you're in no danger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, after giving it much thought, I'm going to leave it on 24/7. I hope my reactor doesn't fill up with air and the fish are alive tomorrow! Thanks again.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The speed at which the CO2 level builds up in the tank depends on how good the reactor is, how much CO2 you lose at the water surface due to surface disturbance, how fast the plants use it, how much water circulation exists in the tank, and other things, probably. You can improve the reactor, or go to a different type. You can control the water surface disturbance. You can control the water circulation. So, I suggest making sure you do have good water circulation, no more than a slight ripple in the water surface, and make sure you have good flow thru the external reactor.

Then, you can start the CO2 flow a couple of hours before lights on, and stop it an hour or so before lights out. All of that should shorten the time to reach the amount you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts