The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the time I have my tanks set up and a biological cycle established, it may be January - and for sure I cannot get the plants I want locally! How safe is it to order plants in the dead of winter? Or should I wait until April or May?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Depends on where the plants are coming from, and weather all in between. Good news is plants can take cold temperatures (as long as they don't freeze) much better than hot. For me here in FL, it's often safer to order plants in the winter than in the summer. (Again, depending on their point of origin.)

If plants are going to be in the mail 24 hours, heat packs can usually ensure safety. Over 24 hours and it becomes more risky, depending again on the ambient temps.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Depends on where the plants are coming from, and weather all in between. Good news is plants can take cold temperatures (as long as they don't freeze) much better than hot. For me here in FL, it's often safer to order plants in the winter than in the summer. (Again, depending on their point of origin.)

If plants are going to be in the mail 24 hours, heat packs can usually ensure safety. Over 24 hours and it becomes more risky, depending again on the ambient temps.
+1 ....... absolutely true.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts