The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....stigates:_Shrimps_killed_by_mail_order_plants

So, I was noodling around today looking at aquascapes and came across this article. I am thinking this could be the cause of many unexplained shrimp deaths. In the article is says that plants that are imported from country to country have to go through various chemical baths before they can be imported into the receiving country. Let this be a warning to people importing plants from other countries. The chemicals they use on the plants to kill pests do not sound the least bit pleasant.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Any plant you get from Petco or Petsmart that says 'guaranteed to be snail free' are also dipped in copper AFAIK. It pays to know where your plants are coming from and what they go through AND to do proper dips and quarantines. I dip my plants I get from others, plant them in tanks while they cycle and test snails against them FIRST before a shrimp ever goes in the tank. I do not introduce ANY new plants into an established colony of shrimp, ever, unless they come from my own tanks. Not worth the risk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts