The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Magnum HOT (250) for water polishing. I set the filter up, but when I run it, you can hear a hissing noise like air escaping. When you turn it off after it runs a bit, it hisses for a little after until, I'm assuming, the built up air all escapes. I think it's leaking from the lid not sealing fully. The D-ring is fine and everything, but is there some trick to latching the lid closed that I can't figure out?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
After over a decade mine crapped the bed a few weeks ago. I changed out the impeller assembly last night, and had the same thing. I suspect i didn't wet the gasket, so instead of wetting down the gasket i just rubbed some Vaseline on it, and it solved the problem.

Good luck~>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After over a decade mine crapped the bed a few weeks ago. I changed out the impeller assembly last night, and had the same thing. I suspect i didn't wet the gasket, so instead of wetting down the gasket i just rubbed some Vaseline on it, and it solved the problem.

Good luck~>
Which gasket did you put the Vaseline on?

Also, I found if I press down on the lid a little, it doesn't leak anymore. I think it's a problem of the lid not latching down fully, but can't figure out how else to do it or how I'd be messing that part up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The orange/red gasket that is inside the lid that touches the canister body.
Alright, thanks for the tip. I just sent it back for a replacement, it's a little ridiculous for it to leak like that out of box. If the replacement one does the same, I'll try Vaseline or some silicone or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In case anyone was following, I got the replacement in the mail, set it up and it ran with no problems at all. I guess it was just a faulty unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts