The Planted Tank Forum banner

Magnolia leaf advice?

4090 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Betta132
A few people near us own magnolia trees, and I regularly collect the dry leaves and boil them, then add them to my vivarium for the frogs.
I'd like to do something like this with my aquarium, just add a bunch of them to the tank for the cories to mess around in. Will they release a lot of tannins? I don't mind if they release a little bit, but I don't want to add more to what the wood is causing, because then I wouldn't see my fish.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water ends up looking kind of like weak tea. If I boil the leaves several times, will it get a bunch of the tannins out?
I really don't know what kind of magnolias they are... The kind with the leaves over six inches long and the dinner-plate-sized flowers.

· Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trees are maybe a bit under twenty feet tall... It's Texas, so magnolias don't really do all that well here.
Thanks! It's a 65 gallon tank, so I don't think a few leaves will really do too much, I just wanted a second opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.