The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people near us own magnolia trees, and I regularly collect the dry leaves and boil them, then add them to my vivarium for the frogs.
I'd like to do something like this with my aquarium, just add a bunch of them to the tank for the cories to mess around in. Will they release a lot of tannins? I don't mind if they release a little bit, but I don't want to add more to what the wood is causing, because then I wouldn't see my fish.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I am not sure how much tannins are in a magnolia leaf. If you already have some on hand, put a couple in a glass of water and see how long it takes to look like tea. When you boil them does that water turn colors? If not, or just a bit, then there is likely not much tannins in the leaves.

Are you using Magnolia grandiflora? Those are really sturdy leaves, ought to hold up really well under water.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water ends up looking kind of like weak tea. If I boil the leaves several times, will it get a bunch of the tannins out?
I really don't know what kind of magnolias they are... The kind with the leaves over six inches long and the dinner-plate-sized flowers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That sounds like grandiflora. How big are the trees they come from? If the boiled out water turns out looking like weak tea, then the water in your tank probably won't be affected much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trees are maybe a bit under twenty feet tall... It's Texas, so magnolias don't really do all that well here.
Thanks! It's a 65 gallon tank, so I don't think a few leaves will really do too much, I just wanted a second opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts