The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so. my sword has magnesium def according to a chart. the veins are dark on it. i dose above EI in my tanks with micros. 29 gallon with 1/8 tsp csm+b. also 1/4 tsp of epsom salt and 1-2 ml of flourish iron.

however my ludwigia has a few curling leaves that suggests either mg overdose or calcium def.. i didn't think it was possible to overdose mg easily. and if that's the case why is my sword looking like poop?
i dose 1/2 tsp GH booster weekly as well.
my tap water also has clacium

im confused

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
By far the most common nutrient deficiency is carbon deficiency, or CO2 deficiency. And, that will cause just about any symptom of poor plant health you might ever see. That's why chasing deficiencies is less fruitful than just dosing non-limiting amounts of all nutrients, and working on your CO2 system to be sure you are providing as much as you can to the plants.

·
Registered
162 Posts
After testing water for three years I can say from my experience that you cannot reliably diagnose a plant defficiency by looking at the plant. This is especially true of Ca/Mg problems. The only reliable way to know the level of a nutrient is to test it using a relible test.
If it were possible to determine a nutrient problem by looking at the plant, my Ag Agent would ask me to bring some plants and not a soil sample.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
I thought potassium def was dark veiniation?

Also since you gave a ppm for co2 and I highly doubt you have actual accurate co2 testing equipment, that your using the ph kh co2 chart. If that's the case you really have no idea how much co2 you have in the tank.

The only way to be certain that you have proper co2 levels w/o the ridiculously expensive equipment is to up the bubble count till you see stress in fauna then back it down a notch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hach makes a co2 titration kit. We have one in my lab. if you can get your hands on some sodium hydroxide then you should be able to walk through testing your co2 in ppm by simple drop count method. if you're interested I'll look through tonight when I get to work on the process and help out in anyway I can.
I was having some of the same issues with my mexican oak leaf, I have sense up the c o 2 to about 70 ppm and have seen no ill effects on any of my fish. I have found that the chart is inaccurate but testing with the proper equipment and checking with a drop checker have show my numbers to be consistent.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
so. my sword has magnesium def according to a chart. the veins are dark on it. i dose above EI in my tanks with micros. 29 gallon with 1/8 tsp csm+b. also 1/4 tsp of epsom salt and 1-2 ml of flourish iron.

however my ludwigia has a few curling leaves that suggests either mg overdose or calcium def.. i didn't think it was possible to overdose mg easily. and if that's the case why is my sword looking like poop?
i dose 1/2 tsp GH booster weekly as well.
my tap water also has clacium

im confused
Huh? Isn't curling leaves a kind of stunting? And Mg shortage can stunt plants.:icon_roll
But the 1/4 TSP you said = 3x a week? If so, that's already adequate. Couldn't be Mg def then.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks daniel! i have a hach titration kit. i use it in conjunction with my probe now...

use curling leaves are a type of stunting. i don't think calcium or MG simply because my tap water contains both, i dose gh booster per EI. i add 1/8 tsp of csm +B which is double the EI dose. and i add 1/4 tsp of MGSO4 3 x a week as well with iron.
standard EI for my tank of 29 g with KNO3 and KH2PO4. i also add 1/8 tsp of potassium sulfate on my macro days.. oh and trace 1-2 ml of flourish iron as well.... I SHOULD BE WELL over EI on my micro side... Phos and Nitrate kits test and show i have plenty of both.. 20-30 nitrates and around 5ppm phosphates... i have no reason to believe my K would be low either

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I SURE HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will be one upset puppy. however it comes with calibration fluid and appears to be calibrated properly...

Since i've thought about it i tested my tank water and it appears my phosphates are above 10 ppm.. whats this i've read before about iron and phosphates cancelling each other out? MG and IRON def look and act similar... im wondering... anyone care to fill in the dots

bsmith i think i've read somewhere you make fresh REAL fishie food.. is this correct?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I SURE HOPE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will be one upset puppy. however it comes with calibration fluid and appears to be calibrated properly...

Since i've thought about it i tested my tank water and it appears my phosphates are above 10 ppm.. whats this i've read before about iron and phosphates cancelling each other out? MG and IRON def look and act similar... im wondering... anyone care to fill in the dots

bsmith i think i've read somewhere you make fresh REAL fishie food.. is this correct?
I have also read about PO4 and Iron interacting. Before when I dose heave on the iron my water column becomes cloudy and after a few hours it will clear. I was dosing about 1ppm at a time for Iron using Flourish Iron. I’m unsure if this was due to using Fleet for P but since I changed to KH2PO4 I have not seen the same issue. My numbers were around the same as yours. P was at about 12 – 16ppm depending on the day. I would dose enough to get FE around 1ppm and within 6 hours the Total FE in the water would be below 0.1ppm.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
i don't think you should have any problem when adding Phosphate and iron on separate days. i think your co2 is still the problem, how exactly do you diffuse the co2? sorry if i missed this info in your previous posts. i myself thought why sometime my plants don't do well, drop checker was green and fish looked normal. then i thought why not try to increase the co2, after increasing the co2 by double, drop checker still looks the same or maybe bit lighter in color, fish looked normal and plant showed bit of improvement on the same day. today i increased the co2 by triple and i will find out what are the results when i get home. my guess is that drop checker might show lime green and fish will be ok, all am saying is that drop checker isn't accurate as your fish are, fish can tell you how much co2 you got in your tank. keep increasing the co2 until you see the fish start to gasp for air. don't depend on the bubble counter either, i have mine 5-8bps or more, but again its too fast to count, maybe its more than that. low pressure psi also plays an important role on how much co2 you can diffuse with more or less psi.

water circulation is also very important.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
happi, i have a digital probe. my c02 is not the problem and if it is, im throwing away my plants. im above 50 ppm for sure, and titration c02 kits put me at 65 ppm.
i diffuse with a cerge style reactor.

also i have a koralia nano 425 for circulation with my sunsun 402b

AND a flexible bubble want i recently added. although im thinking of doing a diy giant bubble maker instead with pvc

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.