The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used E.I. to grow the plants, decided to try PPS now they are grown in because I got tired of the 50% weekly water change. So I screwed up. After forgetting to get RO/DI water for 5 days, I finally remembered and set to mixing my PPS Pro ferts. After finishing I realized I used tap water instead of RO/DI. D'OH!!!

So my question is can I still use them or should I dump them and remix?

The moral of the story, kids...DON'T GET OLD!!!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I quit using RO water in my tank's and solutions quite a while ago. It's just not worth the hassle. I just add a couple of teaspoons of plain old white vinegar to the solution. That will prevent any funky chemical reactions as well as fungal, mold and bacterial growth. No chemistry degree required!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They should still be usable but watch out for fungal/bacterial growth . Tap water has some small amout of bacteria in it.
I put in 5mL metricide...That should cover it?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi MJB13,

I dose most of my ferts dry now with the exception of Iron. Iron and/or CSM+B were the ones that always seemed to develop fungus after a while.

Metricide (glutaraldehyde) will certainly keep fungus from forming; I do 20 ml of Excel strength per 500ml (with Metricide 10ml per 500 ml should be fine).

·
Registered
289 Posts
yea i never understood why people mix them. i sprinkle mine in like fishfood and it doesnt seem to affect anything

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Depends on the volume of the solution but it sounds about right. Mistergreen provides another good reason to use RO water.

As to the reason why make a solution...
1. accuracy in dosing for small tanks
2.uniformity of the dose/substance (a tsp has some degree of variation, the mass of the substance in a tsp depends on the density of the powder, mL are easier to measure) (especially in the case of CSM+B where the powder is varied )
3. avoids salt burns where the undissolved granules fall and fish tasting the powders ( guess you could dissolve it before in a small vial)
4. easier to store some substances that are especially hygroscopic (MgCl2 I am looking at you )
5. professional habit from all the time in the biolab :grin2: (weight, dissolve, mix)

But that is just me, everybody is free to play however they like

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.