The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share these modifications I made to my 50 gallon.

First, I wanted raise my light up off the tank to get more uniform light in my tank. I used some blocks of wood to get an idea of how high up off the tank the light needed to be and realized some sort of "hood" was needed so I wasn't straring at the LED's when sitting back in my chair. A couple hours in the garage and a few beverages later....

I used some 3/32" brass rod to support the light on the "hood" and used some 25lb test fishing line to string it up.

Second, Im sure anyone using a sump and filter socks know how often they need to cleaned. I had to clean my 4"x8" socks daily. I came up with this:

From a 4"x8" felt sock to this 12"x8"×6" box is has over 5 times the surface area. I used those clips you use to put a lid on a rimless tank to hold everything in place.
Pretty pumped how both these little things turned out!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Nice job on both DIY mods! I especially like the great job on the wood frame for the light, very clean.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice job on both DIY mods! I especially like the great job on the wood frame for the light, very clean.
Thank you! Makes me want to sit in my chair and watch, but there are other things to be done around the house.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Nice work!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts