The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting Aponogeton madagascariensis for my 20g Tall shrimp tank.
Im planning on having it a snail free tank besides MTS, unless snails wont damage it. Im going to have riccia on the surface to shade it. The only other things in the tank will be the shrimp, MTS, x mas moss wall and pellian. I was wondering a few things.

Would snails be damaging to it?
Does it have any special needs?
Will Eco mixed with another black sand be enough?
Does It NEED CO2?

I love these plants and I found one of these cheap and was ordering a few different things from them besides so thought it would look nice in the 20G shrimp tank with this plant, moss, pellian and bogwood, So I thought I would try it. You can't fail till you actually try.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
If it lives it will out grow a 20 high. I've had them take over a 56 column tank. They like a nice fertile substrate, cooler water temps then most of the plants we keep, a little dolomite in the bottom of the substrate seems to make them happy. They don't need CO2 but they look better if they are getting it.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
and no...snails will not be damaging to it. Even though it looks delicate, it is quite strong.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i can say from experience that MTS, amano shrimp, ottos and BN plecos do NOT damage the plant. However, in my tank the leaves were nearly 30 inches long so I finally removed it. Very pretty though.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
it doesnt need co2.

temp of 76 is perfect. mine didnt like it much when it got just above 80. right now i think mine needs to go in the fridge for a month or two and then bring it back out. the leafs seemed to have stop coming out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Surprisingly enough I had some of this grow underneath a plant rack in a tank w/discus - 82-80* I was completely surprised! I suppose the bulb had been inadvertently left in the substrate, and somehow...I have no idea how, it sprouted several new leaves under the darkness of the plant rack.

I also have a couple of these growing in a show tank - 3 wpg, CO2 and the usual suspect of ferts. Plant is surprisingly strong despite looking very fragile.

·
Registered
234 Posts
my friend always has one of these growing in a bucket! i dont know how he does it but there show plants! he has nothing live but it , its bigger then the bucket to say the least , there gorgeous.

jordan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts