The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am new to this forum thing so please bare with me....
I just purchased 2 bulbs of Aponogeton madagascariensis to put in my planted tank. The bulbs i got were reasonably cheap (£2.75)each.
Please could you help me on placement in the aquarium and any specific tricks that i can use to cultivate this plant.
The bulbs i got are of fair size and will hopefully begin to leaf soon but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks
fishyhitman x

·
Registered
931 Posts
i have one of those, its a really cool plant. start it out in the foreground to get some light to the bulb so that the leaves sprout, and leave it there until its a good enough size for your to move back in your scape. Eventually you should have it in the very background, because they get really really big.

·
Registered
567 Posts
They do get very big and very tall. They also really seem to prefer a low light shaded part of the tank when they get going.

I believe that every so often they will go through a dormant phase where they lose their leaves and just sit as bulbs before they sprout again...but I'm not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys thank you
With regards to the dormant periods i have read lots of different stories some people have removed the bulb and left it in moist dark warm conditions where as some have just reduced the tempreture in the tank.....
I usually keep a reasonably cool tank any way (22-24 degrees) however some people say they thrive in warmer conditions and some in cool.
I'm thinking its gonna have to be a lot of trial and error as there is very mixed messages in different articles and how people have got this bulb to work in there aquariums.
i will keep a post of how it gets on and see if i can make it easier for people to understand this stunning plant.
kindest regards

fishyhitman

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have two aponogeton plants, madagascariensis and ulvaceus, both are in 80+ degree water and both doing well in hi light, they both kinda went through a dormant stage where they just kinda lost all there leaves but now they are doing fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts