The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is probably an innocent question, but here it goes:
I have a (200G) planted tank (with fish!). So far, i am only dosing Excel and KNO3 daily. For 'showering' my terrestial plants i use a fully soluble NPK 26-5-12 + 2 + micros.

The full composition reads (%)
Total N= 26: (Nitric = 11) (ammoniacal = 8.5) (ureical = 6.5)
P (P2O5) = 5
K (K2O) = 12
Mg (MgO)= 2
B = 0.01
Fe= 0.02
Mn= 0.01
Mo= 0.001
Zn= 0.002

Would this be suitable to use as a supplement? lets say 2x a week and always dosing to an ammoniacal N concentration < 0.1 ppm. Something like:
200G = 750 ltr
0.1 ppm of ammonia in 750 ltr = 0.075 g
Total fert (at roughly 10% concentration of ammonia) = 0.75 g (1/6 tsp).

Can i do something like this? or will the presence of ANY ammonia at all create major problems or hurt the fish?? i understand plants prefer ammonia/urea over nitrates, so ammonia should be quickly taken up by plants; also the micros concentration will be pretty low anyway... so maybe its not even worth doing at all (?)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you could avoid triggering a green water bloom it should work. I have read posts by some, in Europe I think, who dose small quantities of ammonia intentionally. Do you want to do this because of the difficulty in getting potassium nitrate?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you want to do this because of the difficulty in getting potassium nitrate?
Not really, i figured it would be worth looking into because it would be easier to dose someting that includes macros+micros without having to keep a strict schedule of mixing different solutions.

The tank gets some natural light, so i really want to avoid Green water...
i might try it before in a smaller tank, but first i wanted to see it it made any sense at all. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.