The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the above, think I have been reading too much again - lol.

I use PPS Pro for ferts. I read the other day that when dosing, I should alternate macros and micros, like do macros one day, micros the next, then macros, etc. because the P and the FE interact and don't work well together...is this right?

Also, can c02 be left running 24/7? What I read is that it is this way in nature, no need to change it for the tank?

Just when I think I got, there is something else :icon_roll

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a question about the above, think I have been reading too much again - lol.

I use PPS Pro for ferts. I read the other day that when dosing, I should alternate macros and micros, like do macros one day, micros the next, then macros, etc. because the P and the FE interact and don't work well together...is this right?

Also, can c02 be left running 24/7? What I read is that it is this way in nature, no need to change it for the tank?

Just when I think I got, there is something else :icon_roll
Your first statement is correct. The compound in the chelated iron does not work well with your macro nutrients. It renders the iron dosed ineffective.

CO2 can be left running 24/7 but, this is unnecessary and wasteful. Plants can only utilize CO2 during photosynthesis. In nature, CO2 does fluctuate between day and night it is never constant. The amount of dissolved CO2 in an aquarium with pressurized CO2 is also much higher than in nature.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Wet did a series of tests a while back, putting cups into the tank, and dosing Fe and P at the same time, as well as N minutes apart...

Unfortunately, with Wet's passing, many of his sites are no longer around.. but I recall the general conclusion that you should dose them a bit apart, but even shortish intervals like a half hour were sufficient to prevent reaction..

If you can see the images:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/67958-chelated-iron-yes-no.html#post516693

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your first statement is correct. The compound in the chelated iron does not work well with your macro nutrients. It renders the iron dosed ineffective.

CO2 can be left running 24/7 but, this is unnecessary and wasteful. Plants can only utilize CO2 during photosynthesis. In nature, CO2 does fluctuate between day and night it is never constant. The amount of dissolved CO2 in an aquarium with pressurized CO2 is also much higher than in nature.
Thanks so much..can't wait to see the difference! This must be why the ludwigia rubin isn't getting totally red?? And I will leave the c02 as is, one hour on before lights on, one hour off before lights off.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
About 24/7 CO2, if it's a high light, high CO2-demand tank, the CO2 levels during night time can rise to dangerous levels because plants are using it, eventually killing the fish. If the tank only needs moderate amounts of CO2, and doesn't build to dangerously high levels at night, then it can be left on. It's still a waste of gas since it will only last half as long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts