The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow forumer in another forum (and one of my dwarf shrimp suppliers), recently caught this nicely colored shrimp in the rivers (in the Philippines) where he goes looking for nice dwarf shrimp species.

This specimen is around 2cm long. He has had it for a month or so already... and so far, it has been behaving itself.

I have asked him to get some for me.

Can anyone here i.d. it please?

thanks,

nbc

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
No clue but he's a beauty! Find him a lady friend so you can have more!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will let you guys know when i get mine. He promised to catch some for me.

Aggressiveness? Not yet sure. In his tank, they have been okay, so far. :p

Only time will tell.

nbc

·
Registered
355 Posts
Judging from the carapace, claws, and overall appearance it definitely looks like a macro, not sure what kind though....from the Philippines you say? Hmmmm...

I want one!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I will let you guys know when i get mine. He promised to catch some for me.

Aggressiveness? Not yet sure. In his tank, they have been okay, so far. :p

Only time will tell.

nbc
if you're in cebu, i know where you can catch 'em.. i remember few years ago, i saw some of them while swimming in a dam.. that picture just reminded me of home..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if you're in cebu, i know where you can catch 'em.. i remember few years ago, i saw some of them while swimming in a dam.. that picture just reminded me of home..

It was caught in Romblon, bro. :)

Judging from your Avatar, you're a Pinoy.

Where in Cebu did you see them? I go there quite a bit because of work.

thanks,

nbc

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
I spend time in pampanga, lots of killifish there, not a lot of shrimp though. I'm gonna hike pinatubo next time i'm there and look harder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Judging from the carapace, claws, and overall appearance it definitely looks like a macro, not sure what kind though....from the Philippines you say? Hmmmm...

I want one!

I don't have mine yet... :)

As for getting you some, well, i don't know how to ship... never have tried. Maybe my friend can ship you some? I'll find out.

nbc

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Looks like one of those shrimps I've eaten when I was still there. The ones where you can eat everything, including the claws, but the head. Your shrimp looks pretty cool, what does your friend feed it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looks like one of those shrimps I've eaten when I was still there. The ones where you can eat everything, including the claws, but the head. Your shrimp looks pretty cool, what does your friend feed it?

The shrimp that you are referring to is called "ulang", locally. :) Pretty good tasting shrimp that can grow quite large... some grow to 350 grams.

This one, my friend has only had for 1 month. Still small... but, it's only been a month, so, who knows.

As for what it eats? Good question. Let me ask him and I will get back to you.

rgds,

nbc

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'd be concerned about those cute claws, honestly. Most animals with reasonably large claws have them so that they can use them. Wonder what would happen with two or three in the same tank...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so here's the latest. My friend says that he is sending me 4 of these babies. He has caught one that is 2 inches in size, though. So, they do grow. Which means, that I will have to be careful about them. I have a tank where i can keep them with some gobies... let's see what happens.

Cross my fingers.

nbc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One other thing. Like most other shrimp, they can change colors too, according to my friend.

But, until i get mine, I wont be able to give you new pictures.

nbc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts