The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
weaselnoze,

Equipment: DSLR - Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Macro lens – Sigma 70mm 2.8 DG Macro, Flash 550EX with Speedlite transmitter ST-E2.

1st picture was shot at 1 or 2 inches, flash was placed on the top of aquarium, ISO at 200, shutter speed 1/125 sec, f-stop 13 taken in RAW mode then converted by Photoshop to JPEG then reduced image resolution to 1024. Since I was so close and the sword was almost against the front of the tank, the flower was what became highlighted by the flash.

JT

·
Registered
286 Posts
i shoot with the speedlight on top as well. does your AF on the sigma seem slow, say compared to your kit lens? i have the sigma 105 and i hate how slow the AF is

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lenses

Lenses
i shoot with the speedlight on top as well. does your AF on the sigma seem slow, say compared to your kit lens? i have the sigma 105 and i hate how slow the AF is
Yes! But I chose this lens based on the reviews in so far as Macros. My other lenses are L series and are great… much faster AF and quiet. Given the Sigma's speed (2.8), size and resolution of the lens the slower AF seemed like a reasonable compromise. Canon’s EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM is just too expensive for what I wanted to do with it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i bought the 105 based on reviews and i have to say im quite disappointed. i wanted to check the nikon 100mm out but couldnt find one in any camera store. i imagine its much faster. also my sigma is in for the second time for repairs for the same thing!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After looking at your thread on your Nano 2.5, I can see why you’re asking the question. Your flash is about 2 to 3 feet above the aquarium. When I shot my pics, my flash was literally sitting on the top of the aquarium. I have an acrylic tank that lets me place my flash on the top. I manually set the aperture and shutter speed so that the flower would be highlighted. The Tek lights were on but I am not sure which bank or if both banks were on. The flower is from the Pigmy Sword which is very small. Also it was very near the front of the tank. Accordingly, the distance from the lens was only 1 to2 inches. Since my field of view was so small the white in the flower and the bubble became highlighted and reflected more light then anything else which was completely out of focus. This had the effect of under exposing the background. I took the picture at night to reduce the glare from the window. The rest was luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts