Hi, I just got a macbook pro and have 2 questions:

- do you use an antivirus?
- if so, which one ?

thanks
Panda

·
Registered
316 Posts
it is a hyperbole but you get the point. No need to tell me it's entirely inaccurate.
Update your operating system when available and everything should be good.
I just don't want an unsuspecting Mac virgin to get screwed.

If you can only do one thing to protect your new laptop I would vote for a Time Capsule. When you're harddrive fails (and it will one day) you'll be thankful you had it.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
About 5-6 years ago I did have a virus screw up my Mac. I had to reload the hard disc with all programs, losing all stored data, as a result. The virus simply made it impossible to access anything on the hard disc, so it couldn't be made to boot. Nothing else I tried was effective, so I gave up and started all over. I still don't have a dedicated anti-virus program on my latest Mac, a mini, but I accept every Mac system update the moment it is available.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you !

I must say: this laptop is great!

Thinking on going without the antivirus. I also got the magic mouse and sorry but I dont remember the name ( like word, excel and power point....pages, number....) programs, so I'm broke

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Thank you !

Thinking on going without the antivirus. I also got the magic mouse and sorry but I dont remember the name ( like word, excel and power point....pages, number....) programs, so I'm broke
heh, yeah. that's the only down side. I'm thinking of getting a new one but I'm going for an iMac instead. It's $1000 less than a laptop. I can use that saving to buy the ridiculous software I'll need. Microsoft finally made a new version of microsoft office for the mac btw.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Thank you !

The new magic mouse is awesome, I'm kinda mad that I spent $70 for the bluetooth mouse in June and then that came out this fall... but thats Apple for you.

What Macbook Pro did you get?

-Andrew

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
13 inch, 4GB memory and 250 hard drive

I wanted the other one (2GB) and upgrade it (saving ~$150) but apple doesn't deliver to PR :icon_evil I got mine at best buy here on the island which means no configuration so I went ahead and got this one

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
no need for anti-virus or disk optimization tool. Nobody write viruses for Macs and the system is self optimizing.

Welcome to the Mac world.
Wow...I need to get myself a Mac one day.....one day

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Mac's iWork suite, 3 programs, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers, is much better than any other "office suite". Keynote is the equivalent of PowerPoint, and opens PowerPoint documents or exports to PowerPoint documents. Pages is a superb desktop publishing program, word processor, graphics program, which opens Word documents and exports to Word documents. Numbers is the weakest of the 3, but it is a capable spreadsheet program which opens or exports to Microsoft's spreadsheet documents. I use an OpenOffice suite for the spreadsheet capabilities (NeoOffice is the version I have.). I find that avoiding Microsoft is generally a good idea.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've got an old copy of tiger.

$230 Tablet from eBay + Tiger + Ink + Tablet XP + Ubuntu = Virutal Machine Sweetness with a pen.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
get openoffice.org its a free office suite much like MS Office but free.. and runs off Java
I sure like it a lot :)
can they (openoffice or the iWork) open word doc and xls and the dreaded docx?
We work in the real world and need to open these documents :)
I run it on my netbook that I just got with Ubuntu pre-installed and this is what you can save them as

I'm not entirely sure what all it can open, but I'm sure it would be the same as what you can save it as if not more.
As you can see it's unusually warm here. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.