The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I'm new to tank plants but I'm very experienced with terrestrial gardening. I was very surprised to see Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea' at my local pet store as an aquarium plant since I am so used to seeing it in my own garden.

I know that there are a number of primarily terrestrial plants sold as aquatic plants that last a while but ultimately fail. Is Lysimachia one of these, or have any of you had enough long term success with it to recommend it?

And if so, can I just yank some out of my garden for my tank? (Pesticides are not an issue.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It seems to work totally immersed based on several online databases I've checked. I've been looking for it in SnS… maybe I should have gone to Lowe's. Lol.

I would suspect the leaves of a terrestrially grown plant would melt after immersion. I'm new to this, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
It will do just fine. I found some plants of the normal color form in my driveway as a weed and grew them successfully for quite a while. As an introduced plant, you will often see it growing along pond edges, sometimes with the also introduced Myosotis scorpioides (forget-me-not), which likewise does well under water.

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I have done exactly that... taken some L.n. from a sunny spot in my backyard and submerged it in my tanks. It changes its shape and ends up looking similar to a large leaved Bacopa, with brighter green leaves.

It looks nice, but is a rather fast grower.

Never heard about Myosotis growing submerged, something to look into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts