The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I must have misunderstood your question as taking care of live shrimps is part of the joy of the hobby. Changing the water is a perfect time to observe your colony's coloration, health, density do you have any culls etc. Trim some plants, get rid of some algae... Maintenance can be done in 15min per week so not a big hassle.

Otherwise, you can just put these somewhere and forget about them. They will be okay for a long time. They even come in colors:

Do you have any concerns regarding hitting the exact water parameters or ?
If you plan from the start to ignore a tank, maybe it is better not to set it up. On the other hand, if you look around you will see that the harder it is to breed/keep the shrimp the more sought after they are ( often higher price), thus low grade RCS or ghost/feeder shrimps might be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
From the question, I gather that you are asking about cycling and water quality.

If that is the question, the tank must be cycled and some attention must be paid to water quality.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I disagree on the cycling part. If you add 10 shrimp to a 10 gal uncycled tank, they will produce so little waste that it would never become an issue. I would personally not hesitate to put that many shrimp in a decent size tank as soon as it is set up as long as the water values are what the shrimp require.
As far as doing maintenance on the tank, again it depends on the size of the tank, the number of shrimp and if there are live plants in the tank. I believe if the tank is large, the number of shrimp are few and there are a good number of live plants, the tank could be a balanced environment and you may not even need to feed the shrimp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.