The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has any good ideas for DIY lunar lights, i can spend about 45$ or more to order some but if anyone has any good ideas that will save money i am willing to try.

This project is for the electricaly challenged and i would like to have it somewhat enclosed in the tank hood if possible.

Thank you in advances for any ideas

Eric

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Look for the LED christmas lights and just secure them somewhere and plug them in.... Walgreens/CVS had them on sale after xmas for like $10 or something.

On my pleco tank I found a LED lit tube meant for the "Neon" effect for cars and just dug around for a DCv convertor that was for an old cordless phone and went with that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here is what I did and it works great:

Purchased 20 LED lights on ebay. Seller was rhondamq and here is a current listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-LED-AQUARIUM...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Took a 6foot piece of left over 1x1 from a downstairs project and drilled 20 holes, just larger than the led lights. Slide the LEDs into the holes and mounted the 1x1 to my canopy, facing forward (not down). I have the inside of my canopy painted flat white, so the light equally disperses into the tank (I hate seeing the beams from each light and this negates that).

It looks cool and is just bright enough. Give it a shot. $30 for lights (if you need 20, she has smaller packs) and $0-$5 for 6' 1x1 strip.

Good luck.

Ted

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I would recommend white LEDs over blue anyday. Just a personal preference having used both.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you do LED's, remember they're polarized- So you must have them all facing the correct direction (there is a + and - side)
Also, remember that they Volts are not to be exceded. they may work for a bit but will burn out soon. if you try 9 volts in a 1.5V, you'll burn it up in a few seconds. Other than that, Good luck! they're easy to wire, use little electric and last for a gazillion years! try to get th SUPERBRIGHT Leds (Though I think ALL blue LEDS are superbright)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its not the voltage but rather the current. You must limit the current according to the led specs. Typical specs of an led is If (forward current) of 10-20ma with a Vf (forward voltage drop) of 2Vdc. Take your supply voltage , subtract the Vf and divide by the If to find your resistor value. Ex: 12Vdc source => (12 - 2)/0.020 = 500 ohms. If you connect them in series you can simply add up the total voltage forward drop and recalculate your resistor value. Also make sure to choose a resistor than meets or exceed the power requirments => P = V*I, in this example 12 * .020 = .24watts. So 1/4watt (0.25W) should do.

I also use a pair of cold cathodes on my tank. Much less hassle and simpler than putting together your own led string.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.