The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a lunar led on a planted tank. I have a coralife aqualight 24" fixture and they sell a 1 watt lunar led light that can attach to it. It says for reef and coral but i think it would just look cool at night. Will having that light on produce algae or have any negative effects or is it safe? Do any of you guys do something similar for looks? I dont know why, i just like it. here is a link to the coralife one that I am looking at. http://shop.bhg.com/show_product/93917/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=93919

There is even a 3/4 watt one as well. I only have a 20 gallon so would that work just as well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
It just looks like a fancier (and more expensive) version of the diy moonlights people have built. I think you should be fine but lets have someone with more knowledge give you a solid answer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here is the same brand with a 3/4 watt bulb for $20
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10975/product.web

I have never personally used a lunar light becuase my aquariums are in my bedroom and I hate any type of light when I'm trying to fall asleep. That being said I have always wanted to. I have seen lunar lights used much more frequently in saltwater / reef aquariums. They are supposed to promote coral spawning and other cool marine behavior. You can find ones that will actually simulate a full lunar cycle for a whole month. These are usually hundreds of dollars though.

Like I said, I have zero experience with lunar lights but I would say 3/4 watt light will not grow any algae.

Hopefully some more people will chime in that actually use lunar lights.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Diy ftw

I went to advance autoparts and picked up a small 4 pack of hyper LEDs that already have the resistor soldered on w/ some wire. drilled them into aluminum housing of the coralife and voila, moonlight for $6 that actually looks like its not an add on.

Equipment minimalism is a must for me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought one of those Coralife lights when they were on sale last summer. It really was a waste of money. For $6 at Home Depot I picked up two LED nightlights that are at least as effective and cost me a fraction of the price.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am not to familiar with leds and making lights....what parts do i need and what do i need to make a light? I know nothing about how many volts or ohms i need. Do i need a battery enclosure or something to power it? What do you use to turn it on?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi PRSRocker - I was thinking of doing something similar. My buddy has a marine tank with moonlights and it looks great. Lots of creepy crawlies to look at with the moonlights too. I was thinking that I might actually get to see my clown pleco for once. What is the wattage of the light at Lowes? The price is good and it seems to be a self-contained system. I'd love to know what you choose to use and how it works out.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
anyone have an aqualight as well or similar and have a diy article or plan to hook up a moonlight? I really want to do it inexpensively and i think it would be interesting to make one. I dont have a canopy so I dont know where the leds go. I know nothing about resistors and the other terms but really want to make a moonlight.

EDIT: Okay, did some reading. Do you think a single led will work on a 20 gallon or do i need more than one? Is one strong enough?

·
Registered
444 Posts
All I did was went to wall-mart auto section, picked up some led lights (these were being sold as led mods for cars) it came with two 3inch led strip, these strips were already had a power and ground wire solder on to the main board. Got home took the package apart, found an extra DC power cord, cut the cord, split the wires so one went to power and one went to ground. Plug it in And voilà.

I'll put up some pics when I get home from work in a few hours.

P.s sorry for thread Jack

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No its cool, i want others to show me how they did it. That sounds pretty simple but dont know how to connect the led circuit or led strip in your case to a dc power plug.

All i figured out how to do was to wire and led to a resistor and a battery holder for power supply. simple but not so efficient. I'll take any ideas,tips, or photos.

·
Registered
444 Posts
okay here goes

okay so when i got this from wal-mart, it looked like this. THe LED bar doesnt have the black stripes going across it though. I added that to tune down the brightness a bit for the tank. One side is doulble sided sticky tape. there are two wires coming out on the other end. ONE RED and ONE BLACK. RED IS POWER and BLACK IS GROUND.

then find a DC plug you dont need and cut the wire with a wire cutter. The plug at the end of the wire. It should be two wires stuck together, split it right down the middle. Find the POWER WIRE (usually its mark with a white stripe like the photo. Power on your right and ground on your left)

luckily for me the ends on the LED bars have connectors already. If whatever you are using don't have it you can use other options as butt connectors, twist caps connector(not the actual name BTW) or just twist them together and wrap it with electrical tape. MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT POWER TO POWER AND GROUND TO GROUND. DON'T WANT IT TO BLOW UP.:icon_eek: LOL J/K. Nothing wont happen it just won't lit up.

End product should look like this.

this is how i have it set up at the moment, i know i know. Once i have time I'll figure something out.

Here are some tank shots so you know how it looks like at night

well I hope this helps. Its actually not that bright, the camera makes it seem that way. Again sorry for the thread jack

The lights were just under $20, you can go cheaper if you buy things separate but since I am not that great at soldering and electrical stuff i went this route, less hassle for me.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I am going to attempt a diy lunar light for only 6 dollars. Going to see how it works. I got some resistors, blue led, a battery holder and some wire. Going to fire up the soldering iron at some point and see what i can do for my 20g with a basic led setup.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My first lunar led concept

Okay, so I made a simple little lunar light today for about 6 dollars. It runs off batteries now until I hook it up to a power plug. I used a 465-470nm blue led, a 4 AAA battery holder, and a 150 ohm resistor. I also used some copper wire, my soldering iron, and electrical tape for extra hold. I can post steps on how to do it if anyone wants. Pretty simple once I figured out the correct wiring and what resistor would be needed for the led. I post a few pics of the light on. They are a little shaky and blurry because I only have my simple HP point and shoot digital camera, and it doesn't take stable pics without a flash. I usually use my girlfriends much better camera, but she's not home at the moment so had to use mine.lol Here are the pics...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts