The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday after swithing the light off I noticed a lot of my RCSes were luminous. It looks like a lot crawling lights in my tank and I wonder if that is a common occurence since this was the first time I noticed it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
do you have moon lights or any nearby lights that could somehow reflect off the shrimp?

Otherwise that is really cool. Breed them and sell them as glow in the dark shrimp :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are definitely luminous RCSes!!! At first I noticed two, close to the bottom of my tank and then I looked up towards the surface and at least a dozen luminous ones were feeding on my floating Hydrocotyle, which has leaves badly eaten by this shrimp.

So this seems to be definite. I will check it again this evening for confirmation of my observations...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This Thread Is Worthless WithOut Pics
Laura, I asked if luminescence is known to manifest itself in RCSes. The whole bodies were bright yellow upon the dark background of the tank.

I'm not talking about Skunk Ape prowling in your neighborhood!! Just imagine your Grandma coming to see you right after midnight....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And he never provided decent proof.

Anybody who wants to see a 'decent proof', is welcome to drop in this evening about 11 o'clock with a bottle of good wine to clarify one's vision...

On a serious note, one has to be conscious of all these predictions concerning coming of the end of the Earth the very next year!!!

And this may be one of the signs....:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
With all the blurry low-quality pictures of shrimp people allow themselves to post, I think even the laziest most ham-fisted person would take a quick snap of glowing shrimp blobs to back themselves up. Do it, man. Go the distance. Be the guy.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again I observed a few a few luminous RCSes in my tank yesterday after turning the lights off. None of them close enough to the glass wall. In the total darkness I managed to take one pic of a specimen perching on an edge of the cork backwall, just beneath the outlet from my filter. The picture shows ....reddish shrimp. I infere from this that the light from flash nullified luminosity...

To make the thing funnier, I noticed that the dead shrimp I picked out from my tank yesterday in the morning, was ...luminous that evening!!! Since I use everything organic to bury it in my garden, it just happened that the said shrimp was resting on the coffee grounds in the bowl I use for all parts of wegetables, fruits, etc., from my kitchen.

So some (?) shrimp are luminous even after departing for the shrimp haeven, which could point to speculation that the luminosity I observed may be due to infection with some bacteria(?), or some other organisms, which may result in untimely death of an individual and the whole colony in the end.

This conclusion I base also on the slow, but steady decline in the population of my RCSes, as well as Ghost and Amano shrimps in my tank. The last two vanished from my tank completely several weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts