The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying something new and different, a planted nano setup in a bowl. I found these real nice little bowls manufactured by Live with Nature, the one-gallon Luminous Aquarium. The Luminous bowls feature artistically layered bits of color around their bases and top rim. I had never seen anything like this and the pictures in their online store were so pretty. Here is the link over to their main site:

www.LiveWithNature.net

I was impressed with the price tag on the Luminous, especially for a hand-blown, Made in the USA glass piece. While ordering I selected the Earth Aquarium. I liked the look of the natural, earthy hues in that one, and I imagined that the colors would contrast well with a little nano planting inside. Last night when I got home the box was waiting there for me.

More pictures to come. Tonight I got a quick shot of the bowl in situ.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Those are pretty neat little bowls. It's a nice twist on the traditional fish bowl. I'll be interested in seeing what you do with this nano garden.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that this will be fun. I am real interested to see how the ecology will be in a little setup like this with very little input and powered with sunlight.

I am still trying to figure out plant selection and livestock--I think I might go with RCS--but I got some water in there yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Very interesting project Devin. Very intersting....

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the colors and they make a cool effect with the sunlight shining through. The view through the side of a fish bowl is pretty distorted anyway due to the curvature of the glass. I get a real good view of the inside looking in through the top.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are really nice. And they're handmade in the USA. If you can put it on the windowsill the effect is real nice as the sun shines through.

·
Registered
422 Posts
OK it's nice to look at .... and the planter fits well that kind of vases how a see
But beware of sunlight focused by the water+bowl,
My 5 g betta fish bowl had make me a surprize this spring by burning along with the sunrays the furniture...he he he
a thin line of smoke and a weird smell make me wondering what is that...

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that warning sapphoqueen. I wondered if that focused beam of light could get to be hot. You can see in that first picture that it was very bright in that spot.

·
Banned
1,638 Posts
The bowls are really nice looking but I think that the design would distract from what is placed inside.

If they had a bowl with just a colored rim, that would be much better IMO

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a quick update with a shot of the Luminous and a new plant and different gravel. I took this picture with a flash for a different effect.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The bowls are really nice looking but I think that the design would distract from what is placed inside.

If they had a bowl with just a colored rim, that would be much better IMO
I agree, the bowl looks like you need to clean it in my opinion.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I like what you did with the bowl. It looks great.

I don't think this bowl was originally intended to be a fishbowl. I'm guessing someone just saw it and decided to market it as one. With the other bright colors that this bowl comes in (making the sides much more opaque), you pretty much have to look at it from the opening at the top.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am starting another new little project. I found this antique square jar in the barn at my mother's place. It is super-heavy glass and it holds about two gallons. Maybe it was a candy jar a long time ago I don't know(?).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.