The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between Ludwigia sp. Rubin and Ludwigia sp. Red? Which has the larger leaves, and which is more likely to stay red under low light?

·
Banned
4,901 Posts
Rubin has larger leaves.
But red will give you a better chance of it staying red under low light.

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi kperera,

To the best of my knowledge they are the same plant. The current accepted 'official' name is Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin' but the common name is Ludwigia sp. 'Red'. Many plants have a scientific name and common name such as Pogostemon helferi is many times referred to as 'Downoi'.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I used to think they were the same, but then I've seen people selling them differently, so I think there has to be a difference. I feel like a side by side would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
they are not the same. ludwigia red has been labeled here as rubin

rubin has a more elongated leaf than sp. red. rubin also turns green and survives with less light

ludwigia sp.red with low enough light to change color will basically wither away and die
if its light requirements are met it will be orange, red, or purplish with enough light orange being the lower light levels

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hi All,

Realizing that the photoperiod, light intensity, and nutrients may impact leave shape and color possibly someone could please provide photos of the two plants growing side by side in the same conditions?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I have both Ludwigia sp Red and Rubin in the same tank growing side by side. The 'red' has turned a deep red while the rubin has turned green ever since I planted it. It stayed light red when I floated it in my other tank. I'll take a pic later tonight when there is no glare from my window.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have some Ludwigia sp Red now. Under low light, it was still red, but more of an orangeish red. Now under my Ray 2, it's growing in dark blood red. I have some Ludwigia Rubin coming in today or tomorrow via the mail.

I was also curious about this, that I why I wanted some Rubin. If there is still interest, I'll post some pics in a few weeks after the Rubin settles in. I'll be mad if they are the same LOL! The guy I'm getting them from told me that the Rubin gets a much deeper red than the sp Red gets. Marketing??

·
Registered
79 Posts
IME, Ludwigia sp 'Red' will color up more in a greater variety of conditions. Ludwigia sp 'Rubin', although also a colorful plant, will show much a much greater variety in color depending on your tank conditions.

The following links are very informative (although not at all conclusive as, apparently, new ludwigia hybrids are brought to market):

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/78658-ludwigia-repens-rubin-another-hybrid.html

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-id/78984-another-ludwigia-hybrid-2.html

The first link suggests that L. sp. 'Red' is not 'Rubin'. The second link shows a great comparison among several ludwigia species (although sadly not w/ L. sp. 'Rubin')...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
They are NOT the same plant. The Rubin is much, much larger and has leaves that are usually, but not always, alternate. It may be a hybrid of some kind. Working on that...

The Red is apparently a form of L. palustris that's smaller, opposite-leaved and is very easy to keep red. Rubin can get more of a maroon if conditions are good, but intensity of color between the two can be approximately equal.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts

the "rubin" is the shorter, large-leafed red/pinkish plant and "red" is the to the left.

med/high light, co2 and consistent fert dosing.
Hi DeeJayA1,

I certainly agree the one on the left is L. sp 'Red' and the one on the right is certainly different. The L. sp 'Rubin' in your picture looks somewhat like the one pictured at APC although not as reddish, the leaves seem longer, and I cannot quite make out the detail of the leaf placement on the stems.

Thanks for the pic....worth a thousand words!

·
Banned
116 Posts
a closer look at the 'rubin'

Keeping the 'red' as red as it is has never been an issue for me... but the 'rubin' on the other hand, this is as red as I can get it. the underside of the leaves are a deep red, but the tops are what you see... any ideas? and my ludwigia arcuata will only get to an orange/rust color

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have found that the more light the redder the leaves and the leaves that do not get that much light stay greenish.

This is ludwiga repens (think that is what it is called) in 29 gallon high with two full length 6500k flourescent bulbs.

It grew like weeds with no co2 just 2 gallon weekly water change.

There is some jave fern here and there.

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
a closer look at the 'rubin'

Keeping the 'red' as red as it is has never been an issue for me... but the 'rubin' on the other hand, this is as red as I can get it. the underside of the leaves are a deep red, but the tops are what you see... any ideas? and my ludwigia arcuata will only get to an orange/rust color

The Rubin is very pretty looks like a flower

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I have found that the more light the redder the leaves and the leaves that do not get that much light stay greenish.

This is ludwiga repens (think that is what it is called) in 29 gallon high with two full length 6500k flourescent bulbs.

It grew like weeds with no co2 just 2 gallon weekly water change.

There is some jave fern here and there.
very small leaves, definitely a sign of no co2.. ludwigia repens leaves are about the size of a quarter when receiving all required nutrients

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

Ludwigia sp. 'Red' on the left, Ludwigia 'Rubin' on the right. The Red took about 2 weeks to turn that color while the Rubin has only been in the tank for 2 weeks and only has orange under the leaves. It's still growing though, about an inch every few days. The tank has DIY CO2 and daily Metricide-14 dosing, EI dosing, and MGOCPM capped with Seachem Black Sand. The light is a 27 watt daylight desk lamp positioned 3 inches above the water timed for 6 hours with a 4 hour blackout then back on for another 5.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
while on the topic, I feel like sp. atlantis should also be discussed with these two
sure, price wise there is a big difference now, but appearance wise and size wise and all I think these three sp. are very similar.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.